[HouTango-L] revealing comments on floorcraft & navigation

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Wed Nov 12 17:06:15 UTC 2003

Dear Houston Tangueros/as,

The 7th Annual Portland TangoFest was held last month, to great
success.  One of the organizers, Clay Nelson, posted a request
for comments about one of the issues at TangoFest, floorcraft
and navigation.  He collected a large number of email comments and
has posted them on his web site (minus names and email addresses).
They make for some very interesting reading.

Here is Clay's note that started the discussion:

    Dear Tango Dancer,

    The 7th Annual Portland TangoFest was over a few weeks ago and
    since then I have received nearly 100 evaluations. I have tallied
    all of the comments and it's interesting to note that the #1
    complaint was about poor floor navigation at the milongas! To
    address this issue at future events, and because this a universal
    problem that extends beyond just the Portland TangoFest, I
    would like to open a discussion about this topic. Specifically
    I would like to get feed back about who exactly are the guilty
    culprits. Are they primarily:

    (a) Absolute beginners, or

    (b) Intermediate dancers with leaders who often stare at their
    feet, are oblivious to other dancers around them, and seem to
    know only static patterns which never move anywhere, or

    (c) Hot shot Advanced tangueros darting in and out showing off
    their latest gauncho/boleo/sacada/triple loop with total disregard
    for others on the floor.

    I'd appreciate hearing your opinion and experience on this, and
    please specify if your discussion refers specifically to your
    experience at the TangoFest.

    Abrazos.....

    Clay

You can read all about it at