[HouTango-L] Argentine movie Valentin opens this Friday

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Thu Jun 17 04:25:56 UTC 2004

Dear Tangueros y Tangueras,

I was fortunate to see the special preview of the new Argentine
movie "Valentin" tonight.  Casa Argentina had distributed
a big group of tickets, and I saw a number of tango people.
While Valentin has no significant tango music/dance connection
(at one point, Valentin's grandmother threatens to sing a tango),
the movie itself is a delight.  I didn't hear a negative reaction
from anyone after the movie, and there was spontaneous clapping
at the joyful upbeat ending.  Guys, if you are looking for a
great date movie, you can't go wrong.  Trust me on this.

Valentin opens Friday at the Landmark River Oaks Theatre, 2009
W. Gray.  Highly recommended.

Best regards,

Lester

==============================

We wanted to send you a quick note to let you know about
a wonderful new film from Argentina, VALENTIN, that will be
released in the US this spring through Miramax Films.  VALENTIN is
delightful for adults and children alike!  Please pass this on
to your friends and don't miss it!

"VALENTIN is an utter charmer.  Rodrigo Naya has immense charisma!"
-Renee Rodriguez, The Miami Herald

"Upbeat and very funny!  Rodrigo Noya gives an irrestible
performance as Valentin."
-Wendy Ide, The Times (London)

NOMINATED FOR 12 ARGENTINE FILM CRITICS ASSOCIATION AWARDS INCLUDING:
BEST FILM
BEST DIRECTOR: ALEJANDRO AGRESTI
BEST NEW ACTOR: RODRIGO NOYA
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: JULIETA CARDINALI, CARMEN MAURA
--
WINNER OF THE AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST FEATURE,
NEWPORT INT'L FILM FESTIVAL

In a world of adults who don't quite seem to know what they're
doing, eight year-old Valentin (Rodrigo Noya) sets out on a
series of extraordinary missions to make his life a little better,
becoming an unexpected matchmaker, macho confidante, philosopher,
television repairman and, most of all, a spirited purveyor of
hope and wisdom to those around him.  Following in the tradition
of such films as "Kolya" and "My Life as a Dog" - films that
reveal the power of children to transform and observe adults
with surprising accuracy, humor and poignancy - VALENTIN is set
in 1960s Buenos Aires, but mines the territory of the human heart.

One of Argentina's most celebrated filmmakers and part of the new
resurgence of Argentine cinema, Director Alejandro Agresti looks
back on the chaos and wonders of his own 1960s childhood with
VALENTIN.  Agresti's vividly painted characters combine both the
shimmering magic of nostalgia and the honest sting of real life.

View the trailer at http://www.miramax.com/valentin/index.html