[HouTango-L] Tango Resources

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Wed Mar 17 21:51:40 UTC 2004

Dear Tangueros y Tangueras,

In the eight years I have been sending out emails to the Houston
tango community, I've had one item on my list that I never quite
got around to sending.  Today is the day to correct that omisison.

There are a very large number resources about Argentine tango:
web sites, mailing lists, publications, etc.  Here are a few to
get you started, along with my comments.

1. Tango-L mailing list

This is the granddaddy of all Argentine tango mailing lists,
started sometime around 1994 or so.  It hosts discussions about
all aspects of Argentine tango.  Lately it seems to get just
a few posts a day, but in its heyday it was much more active.
A few years ago it spun off Tango-A, for event announcements with
a geographical code in the Subject line of the email.  If you have
any interest in Argentine tango, you should browse this list to
see if the topics interest you.

The complete archives of the list are on this web page

http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/

including a link to instructions about how to subscribe.

The Tango-A archive is at

http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-A/

2.  Garrit Fleischmann's Frankfurt Tango Web Site
    http://www.cyber-tango.com/e/tango_e.html

There are a few major Argentine tango web sites, but the Frankurt
Tango web site is where I usually start.  Clearly a labor of love,
Garrit has organized an amazing amount of tango information on
these pages, from articles about tango to music, fashion, and
videos.  People often ask me if I know where to dance Argentine
tango in <country or city X>, and I always check here first,
in the Tango Geography pages.

3.  Steve Brown's Tejas Tango web site
    http://www.tejastango.com/

Closer to home, Steve Brown of Dallas maintains a web site devoted
to Texas tango, plus his personally written articles about various
aspects of Argentine tango from building a tango music collection
for dancing thru evaluations of tango instructional videos,
to a summary of the styles of Argentine tango.  While you might
not agree with everything Steve writes, he is analytical in his
approach and helps define terms and issues for further discussion.
In particular, Steve maintains the best set of links to tango
resources around Texas, so if you need to contact the tango
community in another Texas city, this site is a great place
to start.

4.  Tango Noticias
    http://www.tangonoticias.com/

Finally, Tango Noticias is a stunningly high quality monthly
magazine out of Chicago, free for the download.  You can also sign
up for email delivery.  I have no idea how they keep up this level
of excellence for free, but they've been at if for years now.
In addition to high quality articles, every issue's cover is
an original piece of tango artwork, in full color.  Be sure to
browse the archives for past articles, including several articles
by Brooke Burdett, who has taught several times in Houston.
This month, in particular, has an excellent article

    Music Theory and the Tango
    By Kristin Wendland, Emory University

    The relationship between tango music and dance goes beyond
    meter and rhythm into the higher level of phrase structure. I
    have heard tango dancers talk about "dancing the melody"
    when in fact they mean dancing the phrases.

Best regards,

Lester