[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (10/17/05)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Thu Oct 20 17:12:36 UTC 2005

        Robert Schoenberg writes: Jeffrey Tisdale will hold a
        Halloween Milonga on Saturday night Oct. 29th at his
        "Dancing For Life" studio at 2726 Fondren.  More details
        soon.

        Eric Lanoix writes: I am glad to announce that the Clear
        Lake Tango Club will host a bi-weekly Persian tea-time
        milonga every other Sunday from 4-6pm at the Cyrus Persian
        Grill. We will start this coming Sunday, October 23. The
        Cyrus Persian Grill is located at 911, NASA Parkway, Houston
        TX (in the Clear Lake area). Tel.:281-280-8200. To get
        there from town, take I-45 South, exit at Exit 23, and go
        left (East) Until you reach the restaurant.  The restaurant
        offers an excellent selection of Persian dishes (I very
        much liked the food when I went). Admission is free,
        but guest are encouraged to have a meal. DJ'ing will be
        provided by Eric Lanoix.  See you there!  -Eric [Technical
        detail: Apparently E NASA Road 1 has been renamed
        NASA Parkway.  Google Maps have yet to get the memo.
        Yahoo! Maps has.  Both map services show their data is
        derived from NAVTEQ, so go figure.  The link below says
        911 E NASA Road 1, which is the same as NASA Parkway.]
        http://houtango.com/maps/CyrusPersianGrillMap.html

        Saturday looks quiet this weekend.  Little Napoli downtown
        and Victor's northside events are on Friday, and Daniela
        hosts a milonga on Sunday at Helios, plus the new tea-time
        milonga in Clear Lake (see above).

        Daniela Tudoran writes: Since we don't have Deco anymore
        on Sunday nights we decided to give up the practica
        at Helios and have a milonga in the evening instead.
        Sunday milonga at Helios.  Starting at 8PM-11PM.
        Location: 411 Westheimer, on the south side of the street
        after the intersection with Montrose and just before the
        intersection with Taft, DJ: Oscar, Mercy, Cheers, Daniela.
        http://houtango.com/maps/HeliosMap.html

        Glover Gill will be back at his regular Monday gig at
        The Big Top this coming Monday, October 24.

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away from
        your computer?  You can always refer to past tango email
        at http://houtango.com/mailman/listinfo/houtango-l_houtango.com,
        and click the Archives link near the top.

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, at The Big Top (new location for a few months),
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3706 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/BigTopMap.html

Tuesday

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues their
        class cycle, expanded to three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop & Roger Soto instructing, at their new
        location: The Dance Place, 3300 Chimney Rock @ Beverly
        Hill, Suite 500.  This new space offers room to grow
        with new students.  Beginner 7-8pm, Intermediate 8-9pm,
        Advanced 9-10pm.  http://www.houstontango.org/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Wednesday

        Salento Coffee sponsors a weekly Wednesday tango event
        starting tonight, Wednesday, May 25.  The dancing runs from
        8:30pm to 10:00pm, and maybe longer if there is demand.
        Salento Coffee is located at 2407 Rice Blvd in the Rice
        Village area: Salento moves all the tables to the walls
        and open up a nice floor of smooth tile.  They even offer
        a special "Tango Sandwich."

        http://houtango.com/maps/SalentoCoffeeMap.html

        ----------------

        The new Clear Lake Tango Club meets at 7:30pm at Dance
        Moves studio, 611 Kirby Blvd, in Seabrook's Taylor Lake
        Village. Instructors Eric Lanoix and Robert Barnes. Cost
        is ~5$, to cover the floor fee.

        http://houtango.com/maps/DanceMovesMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        Crossroads Coffee hosts Tango at the Crossroads, 8pm.
        Immerse yourself into an intimate evening of tango, wine,
        and candle light at a new location in the Rice Village.
        Come to dance, listen to the captivating sounds of tango,
        or just enjoy the atmosphere with a glass of wine and
        the best crepes in Houston.  No cover.  2531 University
        Blvd, 713-526-7262, http://www.crossroadscoffee.org
        http://houtango.com/maps/CrossroadsFlyer.jpg

        http://houtango.com/maps/CrossroadsCoffeeMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches beginner 7-8pm, practica from
        8-8:30pm, intermediate/advanced from 8:30-9:30pm, with
        practica until 10pm. $10/class, or $70 for a package
        of eight. Victor Collins teaches at his newly expanded
        home studio at 3013 Roseheath, near Aldine-Westfield &
        Richey Road in far north Houston.  Info: 281-443-3322.

        http://houtango.com/maps/VictorCollinsHomeStudioMap.html

Friday

        Little Napoli Restaurant downtown hosts tango dancing
        from 9:30pm to 2:00am.  Located at 1001 Texas Avenue at
        Main St., it's a brand new restaurant, very spacious,
        nice air conditioned and air flow too, great floors,
        etc. There is plenty of parking everywhere but if you
        don't feel like walking, park in the garage next door
        (on Texas Ave.) and tell the guy at the gate that you are
        going to Little Napoli so he will only charge you $5.00.

        http://houtango.com/maps/LittleNapoliMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor's Friday milonga and free class continues on the
        far north side, but back at its old location: Arepas &
        Empanadas, 12792 Veterans Memorial Drive, 281-444-6377.
        Including tango, merengue and bachata.  Free class starts
        promptly at 9:00pm and dancing runs until midnight
        (maybe later).  Come and dance your tango, salsa, and
        romantic favorites in a friendly family atmosphere.
        More info: call Victor at 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/ArepasEmpanadasMap.html

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia Palaez teach group classes at Barbara
        King's Houston Center of Dance, (new location)
        5200 Bissonnet at Bellaire.  Beginning 7-8pm, $12
        single lesson or $40 for the four week session.
        Intermediate/Advanced 8-9pm, $10/class. Partners
        not required. http://www.tango-houston.com/,
        <tangoss at hotmail.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/KingsDanceCenterMap.html

        ----------------

        Siempre Tango (Always Tango), with Juan Carlos and
        Alicia Suarez, continues an eight week class cycle:
        Beginners 7:30-8:30pm, Advanced 8:30-9:30pm, followed by
        practica. $80 for a package of eight one-hour lessons. City
        Dance Studio, 2423 Dunstan.  Info: Alicia at 713-688-1282,
        <2tango at pdq.net>, http://www.alwaystango.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

Saturday

Sunday

[...]

        milonga at Helios begins October 16.  Starting at 8PM-11PM.
        Location: 411 Westheimer, on the south side of the street
        after the intersection with Montrose and just before the
        intersection with Taft, DJ: Oscar, Mercy, Cheers, Daniela.

        http://houtango.com/maps/HeliosMap.html

Let's tango this week.