[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (12/25/06)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Thu Dec 28 07:12:00 UTC 2006

        With Tango Oblivion on Saturday night, and both Fiesta de
        Fin de Ano and Martin & Natia's milonga to choose from on
        New Year's Eve, it will be a tango packed end to the year!

        From Tango Houston: In the TangoHouston meeting of August
        3rd 2006 it was decided to take nominations via e-mail for
        the positions available in the Board. There were three
        board member slots available. It was also decided that
        Oscar Lopez-Gamundi would remain on the board until his
        two year-term expired in 2007. Ron Jones would remain
        on the board as Treasurer.  Ron was elected to finish
        the second year of a two-year term, so his position
        was available if anyone objects to his continuing in
        his position.  Richard Ebbs' position on the board was
        available, and he would remain on the board only if three
        candidates could not be found.  Two nominations (Cecilie
        O'Gara and Roberto Alsina) were submiited and since there
        were only two nominations for the three available slots,
        Richard Ebbs will remain in the board until next election
        time (May-June 2007). There were no objections to the
        nominations or  Ron's continuing in his position so the
        new Board is made up as follows: Roberto Alsina, Richard
        Ebbs, Ron Jones, Oscar Lopez-Gamundi, Cecilie O'Gara

        Martin & Natia are rearranging/splitting their classes:
        We will be adding a class in 2007.  Due to increasing
        number of students in our Beginners class on Fridays,
        starting January 2007 we will move the beginners class
        to Thursdays at 7pm, and Fridays will be strictly for 7pm
        Intermediate and 8pm Advanced classes.  We welcome the new
        enthusiasts to Wednesday Intro to Tango and Thursday's
        to Beginners classes.  Please keep in mind that we are
        seperating the class, so Martin and I are able to spend
        an appropriate amount of time with each student during
        the class.  We love the levels we have, but it will be
        better to separate the beginners from intermediate from
        advanced classes.

        Tango Oblivion cordially invites everyone to celebrate the
        outgoing year 2006 at our Day Before New Year's Milonga on
        Saturday, December 30th, from 9pm to Midnight (or later) at
        Sonia's World Of Dance, as we return to our regular schedule of
        hosting a milonga on every last Saturday of the month.  We have
        loads of new music and we are excited to share it with all our
        tango dancers.  Saturday, Dec. 30th, 9pm - Midnight, Sonia's World
        of Dance, 5539 Richmond Ave (between Sage and Chimney Rock),
        Admission: $10/person at the door, BYOB, For more information,
        please contact the studio or Ilya at ilya_karash at yahoo.com.
        The studio website is http://www.soniasworldofdance.com/
        http://houtango.com/maps/SoniasWorldofDanceMap.html

        Victor Collins has suspended his group tango Friday classes
        for Dec 22 and Dec 29, and the Wednesday class on Dec 27
        at The Dance Place.  Private classes remain by appointment
        only.  Victor will resume his normal schedule in January.

        Fiesta de Fin de Ano 2006:
        Maria Luisa, Carlos, Ester & Arturo invite you to dance
        the New Year's Eve away at a wonderful location, enjoying
        the sound of tango and latin music.  Prestonwood Club
        House, 13800 Prestonwood Forest Dr., 77073 (near FM 1960
        & SH 249).  New Year's Eve, December 31, 2006, 8:00pm
        until..?  Contribution: $15/couple.  Singles: $10 (no dish
        required). Bring a friend, your favorite beverage and a
        dish to share.  We will provide main dishes, champagne for
        a midnight toast, coffee and the famous Antonia's desserts.
        Come ring in 2007 dancing and let's have fun with your
        family and friends R.S.V.P. by calling 832-467-4994,
        281-894-6520 or email us at: <aerappi at sbcglobal.net>

        Martin & Natia will host their milonga on New Year's
        Eve, 12-31-06.  The New Year's Eve celebration will be
        $15 at the door.  9pm until I'm asleep. =) Champagne
        provided, finger foods, and desserts. Feel free to
        bring your party shoes and special beverages. Please
        RSVP via email <tangoss at hotmail.com> Martin & Natia
        invite you to their centrally located venue for the
        best social gathering atmosphere and the fabulous
        dance floor.  They have upgraded the stereo system
        and expanded the music selections. Martin and Natia
        invite you all to their Milonga every Saturday at the
        Cafe Tango-Studio, centrally Located at 3217 Mercer at
        Alabama, one block west of Buffalo Speedway.  Please join
        us for wonderful dancing, great music, and a fabulous
        social gathering.  Valet Parking available: Basel
        from the next door club is willing to help the tango
        community to park for tips only.  $10.00/person. BYOB
        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        Monica Caivano has a great workshop coming in June in
        Austin: With honor, thrill and anticipation MoniTango
        presents Tango Weekend in Austin:  Dany "El Flaco"
        Garcia & Silvina Valz, June 8-10, 2007. I wanted to let
        you know in advance so you can reserve the weekend &
        share the news with your friends!  More info to come...
        You can read all about these wonderful teachers and
        dancers at http://monitango.com/workshop.html

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information to
        <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, now back home at the Continental Club,
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

Tuesday

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues
        their class cycle, now with three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop instructs at their new location: The Dance
        Place, 3300 Chimney Rock @ Beverly Hill, Suite 500.
        This new space offers room to grow with new students.
        Beginner 7-8pm, Intermediate 8-9pm, Advanced 9-10pm.
        http://www.houstontango.org/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Wednesday

        Salento Coffee sponsors a weekly tango event.  The dancing
        runs from 8:30pm to 11:30pm, if there is demand.  Salento
        Coffee is located at 2407 Rice Blvd in the Rice Village
        area: Salento moves all the tables to the walls and open
        up a nice floor of smooth tile.  They even offer a special
        "Tango Sandwich."

        http://houtango.com/maps/SalentoCoffeeMap.html

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia teach a free introductory class from 8-9pm,
        with a limited set of steps, followed by a free practica
        from 9-10pm, at their new location, Tango Cafe.  3217
        Mercer at West Alabama, one block west of Buffalo Speedway.

        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        The Spanish Institute of Dance would like to announce
        the beginning of a new semester of classes in Argentine
        Tango. Unfortunately, Roger Soto has decided that time
        constraints will keep him from teaching regularly,
        but Michael Figart has signed on to take over his
        duties. Michael teaches two beginner's classes
        in Argentine Tango Milonguero on Thursday nights.
        Other classes and class levels may be added as demand
        dictates. The Spanish Institute of Dance is at 1208 N Post
        Oak Rd, Suite 180, Houston, 77055. For more information
        call us at 713-688-4808, and visit our website at
        <http://www.SpanishInstituteofDance.com/classes.html>.

        http://houtango.com/maps/SpanishInstituteofDanceMap.html

Friday

        The latest milonga venue on Fridays: Téngo Tango.  Diana
        Gonzalo, Mercy and Oscar invite you to dance tango
        every Friday from 9pm till midnight at Té House of Tea,
        1927 Fairview St, near Westheimer and Dunlavy . No cover
        charge.  Empanadas, yerba mate and other refreshments for
        sale. BYOB ($3 corkage fee). Music by Oscar and guest DJ's.
        http://www.teaagora.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TeHouseofTeaMap.html

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia Palaez teach group classes at
        their new venue, Tango Cafe, 3217 Mercer at West
        Alabama, one block west of Buffalo Speedway.
        Beginning 7-8pm, $15 single lesson or $48 for the
        four week session.  Intermediate/Advanced 8-9pm,
        $10/class.  Free practice from 9-10pm.  Partners
        not required. http://www.tango-houston.com/,
        <MartinNatiaTango at yahoo.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins' Friday night tango classes are at Life
        Time Fitness of Willowbrook.  Every Friday, 9pm-11pm,
        ages 12 and up.  Victor teaches Argentine Tango, Waltz,
        Milonga and Chacarera, 9pm-10pm, and hosting a practica
        from 10pm-11pm  at the Life Time Cafe.  Classes cover
        footwork, timing, techniques, and patterns.  You do NOT
        need a partner to take these classes. Singles and/or
        couples are welcome.  Don't wait, sign up now and step
        out in style and confidence.  Seven, 1 hour Lessons per
        enrollment session.  $84 for members, $105 for Non-Members
        $160 for two Members, $187 for two Non-Members.  Life Time
        Fitness, 7717 Willowchase Blvd.,  Willowbrook, TX. 77070
        http://www.lifetimefitness.com/ For further information,
        please contact Cheree Rose at 281-897-6219.

        http://houtango.com/maps/LifeTimeFitnessWillowbrookMap.html

        ----------------

        Siempre Tango (Always Tango), with Juan Carlos and
        Alicia Suarez, continues an eight week class cycle:
        Beginners 7:30-8:30pm, Advanced 8:30-9:30pm, followed
        by practica. $80 for a package of eight one-hour
        lessons, City Dance Studio, 5416 Chaucer Dr. Info:
        Alicia at 713-688-1282, <alwaystango at yahoo.com>,
        http://www.alwaystango.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

Saturday

        Tango Oblivion cordially invites everyone to celebrate the
        outgoing year 2006 at our Day Before New Year's Milonga on
        Saturday, December 30th, from 9pm to Midnight (or later) at
        Sonia's World Of Dance, as we return to our regular schedule of
        hosting a milonga on every last Saturday of the month.  We have
        loads of new music and we are excited to share it with all our
        tango dancers.  Saturday, Dec. 30th, 9pm - Midnight, Sonia's World
        of Dance, 5539 Richmond Ave (between Sage and Chimney Rock),
        Admission: $10/person at the door, BYOB, For more information,
        please contact the studio or Ilya at ilya_karash at yahoo.com.
        The studio website is http://www.soniasworldofdance.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/SoniasWorldofDanceMap.html

        ----------------

        [This moves to Sunday for New Year's Eve only.]
        Martin and Natia invite you all to their Milonga every
        Saturday at the Cafe Tango-Studio, centrally Located at
        3217 Mercer at Alabama, one block west of Buffalo Speedway.
        Please join us for wonderful dancing, great music, and
        a fabulous social gathering.  Valet Parking available:
        Basel from the next door club is willing to help the
        tango community to park for tips only.  $10.00/person. BYOB

        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        ----------------

        Siempre Tango (Always Tango), with Juan Carlos and
        Alicia Suarez, continues an eight week class cycle:
        Beginners 7:30-8:30pm, Advanced 8:30-9:30pm, followed
        by practica. $80 for a package of eight one-hour
        lessons, City Dance Studio, 5416 Chaucer Dr. Info:
        Alicia at 713-688-1282, <alwaystango at yahoo.com>,
        http://www.alwaystango.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

Sunday

        Fiesta de Fin de Ano 2006:
        Maria Luisa, Carlos, Ester & Arturo invite you to dance
        the New Year's Eve away at a wonderful location, enjoying
        the sound of tango and latin music.  Prestonwood Club
        House, 13800 Prestonwood Forest Dr., 77073 (near FM 1960
        & SH 249).  New Year's Eve, December 31, 2006, 8:00pm
        until..?  Contribution: $15/couple.  Singles: $10 (no dish
        required). Bring a friend, your favorite beverage and a
        dish to share.  We will provide main dishes, champagne for
        a midnight toast, coffee and the famous Antonia's desserts.
        Come ring in 2007 dancing and let's have fun with your
        family and friends R.S.V.P. by calling 832-467-4994,
        281-894-6520 or email us at: <aerappi at sbcglobal.net>

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia invite you to their centrally located venue
        for the best social gathering atmosphere and the fabulous
        dance floor.  Martin & Natia will host a New Year's
        Eve milonga, $15 at the door.  9pm until I'm asleep. =)
        RSVP via email <tangoss at hotmail.com> They have upgraded the
        stereo system and expanded the music selections. Martin
        and Natia invite you all to their Milonga every Saturday
        at the Cafe Tango-Studio, centrally Located at 3217
        Mercer at Alabama, one block west of Buffalo Speedway.
        Please join us for wonderful dancing, great music, and
        a fabulous social gathering.  Valet Parking available:
        Basel from the next door club is willing to help the
        tango community to park for tips only.  $10.00/person. BYOB

        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        [The Helios Sunday milonga is on hiatus until January
        due to renovations at Helios.]

Let's tango this week.