[HouTango-L] early bird deadline today, plus 3 tango music opportunities

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Tue Feb 28 21:27:09 UTC 2006

Today, Tuesday,  is the last day for early bird discounts to the
great workshop this weekend with Andres Amarilla from Buenos Aires.
Derek has really gone all out on this, and you can save some
money if you sign up today.  Here is a summary from the Tango
Houston newsletter:

Everyone, if you are interested in going to the Andres Amarilla
Workshops this weekend (Sat. March 4 - Mon. March 6), the
preregistration deadline is Today (Tuesday).  Contact Derek
Rawson at d.rawson at rawsonweb.com, or on his cell at 713-522-0888.
(If he doesn't answer right away, he's in a meeting.  He will be
more free after 4pm.  If your email is postmarked today, I'm sure
he'd be willing to let you preregister by midnight, though I'm
not positive he'll still be up checking it at midnight.)  Also,
Derek is the one to contact about private lessons with Andres,
who will be available Thursday through Tuesday, except at times
previously scheduled for something else.

===============

It must be in the stars, but there has been a small explosion
of opportunties to listen to tango music.  Here are three
opportunities starting with something tonight, Tuesday, February
28th.

Susan Young writes:
I'm attending a faculty recital Tues 7:30 at UH Moore's opera
house, where a quintet of Houston Symphony musicians (piano,
violin, viola, double bass, etc.) is playing music of Piazzola,
and other composers (Dohnanyi, Prokofiev, et al) at a concert named
"Blood & Guts".  Wow!  -Susan  ($10/person at the door)

http://www.advancement.uh.edu/marketing/calendar/FMPro?-db=uhdates.fp5&-format=record%5fdetail.htm&-lay=dataentry&-op=gte&Date=%2f%2f&-op=lte&Date=%2f%2f&-max=20&-recid=12940774&-find=

======================

Edward Grigassy writes:
Tango Carnaval will be performing for the next Dacamera's "A
Little Day Music" concert series. Here's the press release:

DA CAMERA of Houston invites you to "A Little Day Music," a
free brownbag concert in the grand foyer of the Wortham Center.
This month's program is Tango Carnaval with guitarists Rodrigo
Gamboa and Edward Grigassy, violinist Vladimir Kotsiouruba and
bassist Thomas Helton.  They will perform tangos, milongas and
candombes by Piazzolla, Gardel and Villoldo.  KUHF's Alison Young
is your host for the concert on Wednesday, March 1st, at Noon in
the Wortham Center, 501 Texas in Downtown Houston. Additional
information is available by calling 713.524.5050 or online at
dacamera.com ...

====================

And finally, Leo Boucher of Da Camara writes:

"Leo Boucher" <lboucher at dacamera.com> "
Subject: Pablo Aslan's Avantango in Houston March 11

Argentine bass player Pablo Aslan's Avantango is coming to Houston
on Saturday March 11 for a performance at the Wortham Theater
Center.  I wondered if you could help us to spread the word about
this event to people in the Houston area interested in tango.
I've included the details below. We would be happy to offer your
members a 20% discount.  We would appreciate your cooperation.

Leo Boucher
Marketing and Communications Director
Da Camera of Houston
1427 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
713 524 7601 x16

Da Camera of Houston presents
Pablo Aslan's Avantango
Saturday, March 11, 8pm
Cullen Theater, Wortham Theater Center

Da Camera celebrates the 85th birthday of Astor Piazzolla, king
of tango, born on March 11, 1921

Katie Viqueira, vocals; Leonardo Suarez-Paz, violin; Pablo Aslan,
bass; Oscar Feldman, saxophone and flute; Diego Urcola, trumpet;
Victor Prieto, accordion; Emilio Solla, piano; Daniela Arcuri,
Junior Cervila, Beverly Duran, Armando Orzuza, dancers

Join Da Camera for a birthday bash with Pablo Aslan's Avantango,
featuring some of the world's leading tango musicians and dancers.
Avantango performs the tango as an ever-evolving art form,
incorporating jazz improvisation, and turning historic clichés
upside down. Mixing the legendary music of Astor Piazzolla with
contemporary themes and rhythms, the ensemble reclaims the tango
as a living tradition.

"Aslan's innovative arrangements, fused with plenty of jazz and
classical elements, gave a fresh and reinvigorated voice to this
100-year-old musical form." --Austin American-Statesman

Tickets: For tickets, call 713-524-5050 or go to www.dacamera.com.