[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (6/5/06)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Thu Jun 8 15:20:58 UTC 2006

        The Clear Lake Tango Club hosts their twice monthly
        tea time milonga this Sunday at Cyrus Persian Grill.
        After that you can catch the Helios Milonga closer in.

        ArgenTango hosts another "Our Practica" this Saturday
        evening from 6:30-8:30pm at Dance Art, inside the Sterling
        Plaza, 9888 Bellaire Blvd, Suite 166, near Beltway 8,
        $3/person at the door.  Following the old tradition of
        the tangueros in Buenos Aires, we present the Practica as
        a time and place to review basics, work on new steps we
        have learned, constructively share exercises, comments
        and tips with other dancers, and practice what we have
        learned before taking it to the social dance floor.
        Let's practice and improve our steps all together in
        a great spacious dance studio. Casual and friendly
        atmosphere. Dress in your every day cloth and yet bring
        your best tango shoes because we'll be sliding on a
        beautiful wood floor.  All Argentine Tango dancers,
        students, instructors, and enthusiasts are invited.
        http://argen-tango.com/ourpracticas.htm
        http://houtango.com/maps/DanceArtMap.html

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away from
        your computer?  You can always refer to past tango email
        at http://houtango.com/mailman/listinfo/houtango-l_houtango.com,
        and click the Archives link near the top.  Subscribe there,
        too.

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, now back home at the Continental Club,
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

Tuesday

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues
        their class cycle, now with three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop instructs at their new location: The Dance
        Place, 3300 Chimney Rock @ Beverly Hill, Suite 500.
        This new space offers room to grow with new students.
        Beginner 7-8pm, Intermediate 8-9pm, Advanced 9-10pm.
        http://www.houstontango.org/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Wednesday

        Salento Coffee sponsors a weekly tango event.  The dancing
        runs from 8:30pm to 11:30pm, if there is demand.  Salento
        Coffee is located at 2407 Rice Blvd in the Rice Village
        area: Salento moves all the tables to the walls and open
        up a nice floor of smooth tile.  They even offer a special
        "Tango Sandwich."

        http://houtango.com/maps/SalentoCoffeeMap.html

        ----------------

        The Clear Lake Tango Club meets at 7:30pm at Dance Moves
        studio, 611 Kirby Blvd, in Seabrook's Taylor Lake Village.
        Cost is ~5$, to cover the floor fee.  Info: Julia Ward
        <JuliaAnn at hotmail.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/DanceMovesMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        Roger Soto's classes are taught in four week cycles,
        8-9pm, at The Spanish Institute of Dance, 1208 N. Post
        Oak Rd., Ste 180, west of the Heights and east of the
        Edwards Marq*E and Ikea. $40/person for a four week cycle.
        Cycles currently alternate between Beginner 1 and Beginner
        2.  Full information is available on their website at
        <http://www.SpanishInstituteofDance.com/classes.html>.

        http://houtango.com/maps/SpanishInstituteofDanceMap.html

Friday

        Sonia's World of Dance hosts a practica in their
        studio at 5539 Richmond (inside Chimney Rock),
        713-392-8086, 9-11pm.  Sonia is graciously giving
        a discount to Tango Houston members: $5/member,
        $7/other. http://www.soniasworldofdance.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/SoniasWorldofDanceMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins' new Friday night tango classes are
        at Life Time Fitness of Willowbrook.  Every Friday,
        9pm-11pm, beginning this Friday, May 26, ages 12 and
        up.  Victor will be teaching Argentine Tango, Waltz,
        Milonga and Chacarera, 9pm-10pm, and hosting a practica
        from 10pm-11pm  at the Life Time Cafe.  Classes cover
        footwork, timing, techniques, and patterns.  You do NOT
        need a partner to take these classes. Singles and/or
        couples are welcome.  Don't wait, sign up now and step
        out in style and confidence.  Seven, 1 hour Lessons per
        enrollment session.  $84 for members, $105 for Non-Members
        $160 for two Members, $187 for two Non-Members.  Life Time
        Fitness, 7717 Willowchase Blvd.,  Willowbrook, TX. 77070
        http://www.lifetimefitness.com/ For further information,
        please contact Cheree Rose at 281-897-6219.

        http://houtango.com/maps/LifeTimeFitnessWillowbrookMap.html

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia Palaez teach group classes at Barbara
        King's Houston Center of Dance, (new location)
        5200 Bissonnet at Bellaire.  Beginning 7-8pm, $12
        single lesson or $40 for the four week session.
        Intermediate/Advanced 8-9pm, $10/class. Partners
        not required. http://www.tango-houston.com/,
        <tangoss at hotmail.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/KingsDanceCenterMap.html

        ----------------

        Siempre Tango (Always Tango), with Juan Carlos and
        Alicia Suarez, continues an eight week class cycle:
        Beginners 7:30-8:30pm, Advanced 8:30-9:30pm, followed by
        practica. $80 for a package of eight one-hour lessons. City
        Dance Studio, 2423 Dunstan.  Info: Alicia at 713-688-1282,
        <2tango at pdq.net>, http://www.alwaystango.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

        ----------------

        Little Napoli hosts a weekly Latin/Tango night, with a live
        Latin band and tango during the breaks.  Mike, the owner
        would like to extend an invitation to all tango and Latin
        music lovers.  The restaurant is located in the corner of
        Main St. and Texas Ave.  There is plenty of parking on
        the streets or in the garage next door (on Texas) - the
        charge at the garage is $5.00 for Little Napoli's customer.

        http://houtango.com/maps/LittleNapoliMap.html

Saturday

[...]

Sunday

        Helios Milonga, from 8pm to 12pm, every Sunday at Helios
        (411 Westheimer Rd., 2nd story). All tango dancers are
        welcome. The music is played by regular or guest dj's
        (regular djs include Barbara, Roger, Mercy).  No cover,
        but donations are encouraged, full bar downstairs. On
        every third Sunday of the month there is an Alternative
        Milonga DJed by the Popular Tango Liberation Front. Call
        Mikas at 713.447.3378 if you have any questions or want
        to find out more details about Helios Milonga.

        http://houtango.com/maps/HeliosMap.html

        ----------------

        The Clear Lake Tango Club hosts a twice monthly Persian
        tea-time milonga every 2nd and 4th Sunday from 4-7pm
        at the Cyrus Persian Grill.  The Cyrus Persian Grill
        is located at 911, NASA Parkway, Houston TX (in the
        Clear Lake area). Tel.:281-280-8200. To get there from
        town, take I-45 South, exit at Exit 25, and go left
        (East) Until you reach the restaurant.  The restaurant
        offers an excellent selection of Persian dishes (Eric
        recommends the food.)  Admission is free, but guests are
        encouraged to have a meal. See you there! Contact info:
        Julia Ward <JuliaAnn at hotmail.com> [Technical detail:
        Apparently E NASA Road 1 has been renamed NASA Parkway.
        Google Maps have yet to get the memo.  Yahoo! Maps has.
        Both map services show their data is derived from NAVTEQ,
        so go figure.  The link below says 911 E NASA Road 1,
        which is the same as NASA Parkway.]

        http://houtango.com/maps/CyrusPersianGrillMap.html

Let's tango this week.