[HouTango-L] 4-day Seminar in NYC with Andres & Meredith: March 29-30 & April 12-13

Oscar Lopez-Gamundi orlg2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 04:09:46 UTC 2008

Villa Urquiza-Style Tango with a Nuevo Twist:

A Seminar by Andres Amarilla & Meredith Klein

March 29-30 & April 12-13
at You Should Be Dancing
412 Eighth Ave, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10001
What is Villa Urquiza-style tango?
Villa Urquiza (from the Villa Urquiza neighborhood in Buenos Aires) is one of the most beautiful styles within the overarching label of "traditional Argentine tango." The style is characterized by its elegance, with an emphasis on clean lines, exquisite adornments, and soulful musicality.

What is Nuevo Tango?
Nuevo Tango is a means of analysis that enables us to identify the movements and combinations of movements that are common in traditional tango, and to re-use them in ways that are not common in traditional tango.  For instance, while it is common in traditional tango for the leader to execute a back sacada with his left foot, the asymmetry of the tango embrace makes it much more challenging to execute the same sacada with the right foot

What will we work on in this Seminar?
The seminar consists of eight 1.5-hour sessions in the course of two weekends (March 29-30 and April 12-13).  Each day, we'll start by working on the movement technique and stylistic details of certain Villa Urquiza steps.  Because Villa Urquiza style uses a lot of turns with enrosques, lapices, and agujas, these traditional sequences can be distinctly challenging.  Once we have mastered a sequence, we'll start to break it down, analyze its elements, and recombine them in ways that are not typical of traditional tango.  In so doing, students will not only come to understand the process of analysis that is central to "nuevo tango," but will gain tools to help them create their own sequences, whether "on the fly" during improvisation, or more methodically in practice sessions or choreography.  Lastly, we'll focus on refinements in technique that have to be made in order to execute the more challenging combinations of movements that make up "nuevo tango."

Seminar Info
This seminar is appropriate for intermediate and advanced tango dancers.  We strongly encourage students to sign up for all 8 classes, as we will build progressively on material and themes throughout the seminar.

Who are Andres Amarilla & Meredith Klein?
Andres began dancing tango at age 11 and had the good fortune to study with 3 of the greatest tango dancers of all time (Gustavo Naveira, Juan Carlos Copes, and Rodolfo Dinzel) before his 18th birthday.  At age 17, he partnered for a year with Geraldine Rojas, immersing himself in the Villa Urquiza style which Geraldine, and her stepfather Jorge Dispari, are known for. (See http://youtube.com/watch?v =EKqA4EDwW5w for a video of Andres & Geraldine dancing Villa Urquiza style in 1993.)  In the 1990s, Andres participated in closed rehearsals organized by Fabian Salas in which the style of nuevo tango was essentially invented.  Andres & Meredith have been working together for just 2 years and have already taught over 2,000 students in 30 cities on 4 continents.

Dates & Times
Saturday, March 29
3:00-4:30 pm: Characteristics of Villa Urquiza Style
5:00-6:30 pm: Nuevo Tango Defined

Sunday, March 30
3:00-4:30 pm: Enrosques and Reloj in Villa Urquiza Style
5:00-6:30 pm: Concepts from Last Class with a Nuevo Twist

Saturday, April 12
3:00-4:30 pm: Giros and Corridas in Villa Urquiza Style
5:00-6:30 pm: Concepts from Last Class with a Nuevo Twist

Sunday: April 13
3:00-4:30 pm: Adornments (for leader/follower) and Boleos in Villa Urquiza Style
5:00-6:30 pm: Concepts from Last Class with a Nuevo Twist

Pricing
With pre-registration by 3/26, $165 for entire seminar or $45 per day.
At the door: $55 per day or $30 per class.  To register call 212-244-0011 or email info at youshouldbedancing.net

For more information, see http://andresamarilla.com/urquiza.htm