[HouTango-L] The Future of Tango Houston

Roberto Alsina ralsina at comcast.net
Fri May 23 03:41:47 UTC 2008

>From Roberto Alsina to the members of Tango Houston

Dear members:

On Friday 11th of April, Tango Houston conducted its annual
members' meeting, at the House of Tea. In spite of a membership
list of about 50 members, very few showed up,

Therefore, in that meeting it was decided to consult with the
members about the future of the organization. We hope that we
can get some input from a significant number of you, and also to
count on you to be present at the next meeting, to be held in a
few weeks, when a final decision will be made.

Tango Houston was born about 7 years ago, as an effort of a local
group of tango dancers to divulge this beautiful argentine dance
in the community. While initially the main activity was basically
to organize milongas and workshops, over the years the changing
structure of the Houston tango community made that activity
unnecessary. For some members Tango Houston has become obsolete,
its aims and ways largely overtaken by other organizations in
the city. While that is basically true, some of us believe that
the organization can and should have a different but not less
important role in the continuous development of the Argentine tango
in our city. One of them, for instance, could be the organization
of a milonga 3 or 4 times a year, with the participation of all
the different groups now in the city. Also, a present function
is the dissemination of tango info through its Web site, which
is very useful and could be expanded to include info on tango
activities elsewhere. As well as tango history, social "codes"
at the milongas in Argentina, etc, etc.

For all this, as well as other suitable suggestions as provided
by our members to become true, the involvement of the members of
Tango Houston is essential. We ask you all to think about this and
participate in the next meeting to be called soon. On the other
hand, if the decision of the majority of the members present is
to dissolve the organization, it will be done as required by the
laws applying to nonprofit organizations.

In the name of the Board of Directors of Tango Houston, sincerely,

Roberto Alsina
http://www.tangohouston.net