[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (10/18/10)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Sun Oct 24 01:58:15 UTC 2010

        Always Tango Elegant Milonga

        Saturday, October 23rd

        Juan Carlos & Alicia Suarez
        Cordially invite you to attend

        10 PM - 2 AM

        Guest DJ: Silvia Ceriani
        One of Buenos Aires' Most Prominant DJs

        Cover: $12
        BYOB: Cups, Ice, soft drinks, water provided.
        For more info: 512.695.1024

        Next Milonga: November 27th

        Sirrom School of Dance
        5570 Weslayan Street
        Houston, TX 77005

        Sirrom School of Dance is a lovely and well known venue
        for dance events, including tango.  Conveniently located
        in the Randall's shopping center on Weslayan, between Hwy
        59 (Southwest Freeway) and Bissonnet. Sirrom is nestled in
        the breezeway that runs along side Camille's Sidewalk Cafe,
        between Randall's and Walgreens, there is more than ample,
        well-lighted parking with security patrol.

        Sirrom School of Dance
        5570 Weslayan Houston, TX 77005

        Juan Carlos & Alicia Suarez
        http://www.alwaystango.com
        http://www.alwaystangostore.com
        512.695.1024

        ----------------

        D'Amico Dance Grand Opening!!!

        Saturday October 23rd is the day of our Grand Opening.
        From door prizes to Swag Bags filled with goodies to
        the first 100 people through the doors to free dance
        lessons...come on out and join us.  Entry into daytime
        festivities or the night time show is FREE...the schedule
        is as follows:

        11:00am:           Doors Open
        11:00 - 12:00:     Mingle, check out studio, talk to instructors etc.
        12:00 - 12:30:     3 free 10 minute mini lessons
        Two Step - Damon
        WCS - Lisa
        Yoga - Julie
        12:30 - 1:00:      2 West Coast Swing Exhibitions
        1:00 - 2:00:        Mingle, ask questions, visit with staff etc.
        2:00 - 2:30:        3 free 10 minute mini lessons
        Salsa - Troy
        Bachata - Jorjet
        Waltz - Damon
        2:30 - 3:00:        Salsa Exhibition
        3:00 - 4:00:        Mingle, have a drink or snack from a vendor,
                                shop our retail area etc.
        4:00 - 4:30         3 Free 10 minute mini lessons:
                            Latin - Alex & Lorin
                            Polka - Ben and Heather
                            Argentine Tango - Martin & Natia
        4:30 - 5:00:        Latin and Country Exhibitions
        5:00:                 Doors close

        7:00pm:            Doors Open for Red Carpet Event
        8:00pm:            Professional Show
        9:00 - til?:       Dance Party BYOB - we will be selling set ups :O)

        The Free Mini Lessons are for people to get a chance to
        experience the dances that D'Amico Dance offers as well as meet
        the instructors.  3 lessons will go on at the same time for 10
        minutes...then everyone will rotate to the next class for another
        10 minute lesson....then to the last class for the last 10 minute
        lesson.  We hope you will be able to ask questions and get a feel
        for all the dances.  PLEASE tell your friends to stop by and see
        us.  Remember - you guys already dance and we want you there -
        but it's up to all of us to bring new people into our very small
        world of dance!!!

        http://www.damicodance.com
        11151 Westheimer Rd
        Houston, TX 77042

        Sunshine Hallmark
        D'Amico Dance

        ----------------

        We would like to invite you all to join us on Thursday
        nights for two full hours of tango at 1223 Peden St.

        Currently, our classes are on-going and you don't need
        to wait and start on a certain day. You can start now
        and build at your own pace.

        We start at 8pm with tango basics, and shift the gear up
        around 9pm to more advanced patterns. We finish around
        10pm, with a mini violin concert if we are lucky.

        One woman's boleo might be another's gancho!  This week
        we will shift the previous weeks' boleos into sizzling
        ganchos and see how intertwined we can safely get. Come
        break a leg!

        You can register for 4-weeks for $50 and this includes
        8-hours of instruction.

        ***Students pay half***
        Walk-ins are welcome and an each hour is $10.

        We are now available for private classes.
        If you prefer to work one on one on a subject you need
        help with or if you want to have better dances sooner,
        call 225 235 5705 and we will schedule a lesson.

        Happy Halloween
        Fuad&Özlem
        http://www.friendsoftango.com

        ----------------

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information (plain
        text preferred), or corrections to anything in these
        messages, to <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, now back home at the Continental Club,
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

        ----------------

        Argentine Tango for a Complete Beginners

        Cycle consists of 5 classes. Class is 60min. long with
        15min. practice dancing at the end.  Focus will be on
        connection between partners, the tango walk as a couple,
        navigation on the dance floor, basic conventional patterns
        as well as the man's and woman's role in tango.

        You will learn the steps based on connection that you
        can do with anyone on any tango social dance floor.

        You are welcome as a complete beginner, or if you want
        to polish / remember what you've learned in the past, or
        if you want to come by and help beginners to learn faster .

        Starting Aug 9th till Sept 6th, Every Monday
        At the Continental Club 3700 Main @ Alabama

        $60 for 5 classes, $15 drop-in, 50% discount for students

        7.00 pm- 8.00 pm - Tango Class

        8.15 pm - 9.30 pm - Milonga (tango social dance)  to
        Glover Gill's live tango piano

        9.30 pm -11.00 pm - Milonga continues with a DJ

        RSVP indrerapal at gmail.com or 713 319 4330

        transform your life with tango

        http://www.glovertango.com/home.html
        http://www.continentalclub.com/Houston.html

Tuesday

        Practica H will has temporarily relocated to

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 S. Shepherd Dr, Suite 220

        9pm to 11:30pm each Tuesday.  $5/person, $3 students.
        Practice your tango with friends and strangers.
        Hosted by Indre, Luis & Rose, and Viju, presenting
        different DJ's each week.

        ----------------

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues their
        class cycle this week, now with three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop instructs at The Dance Place, 3300 Chimney Rock
        @ Beverly Hill, Suite 500.  This new space offers room
        to grow with new students.  Beginner 7-8pm, Intermediate
        8-9pm, Advanced 9-10pm.  http://www.houstontango.org/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Wednesday

        Jackie Arita, manager of Salento Cafe, sponsors a
        weekly tango event.  The dancing runs from 9 pm till
        midnight. Salento Cafe is located at 2407 Rice Blvd in
        the Rice Village area: Salento moves all the tables to the
        walls and open up a nice floor of smooth tile. Tango music
        dj'ed by Oscar.  Salento offers a great selection of wines,
        including Argentine Malbec as house wine. Empanadas and
        other Argentine treats also served. For a full menu and
        other details about this venue go to the cafe website
        http://www.salentocafe.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/SalentoCoffeeMap.html

        ----------------

        Baires Tango teach classes, 8:30pm-9:45pm: Oscar, Meche
        and Rafa (Baires Tango, http://www.bairestangohouston.com)
        teach fundamentals of Argentine Tango on Wednesdays from
        8:00 to 9:20 PM at King's Dancing Center, 5410 Bellaire
        Blvd, Bellaire TX 77401. All levels welcome. Classes are
        focused on the understanding of the structure of tango
        emphasizing its improvisational nature. The four-class
        package goes for $48, $15 for drop-in. Respond to
        baires.tango at yahoo.com or 713 408 9065 (Oscar).

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        Martin & Natia teach classes at

        Cafe Tango Bar and Studio
        Second floor of the Allegiance Bank building, inside
        King's Dancing Center
        5410 Bellaire Blvd.
        Bellaire, TX  77401
        713-560-6695

        6:30pm - 7:00pm - Introduction to Tango - FREE
        7:00pm - 8:00pm - Beginners Tango
        8:00pm - 9:30pm - Intermediate/Advanced Tango
        (This class is strictly for experienced tango dancers,
        invitation only)

        Each one hour class $10 per person (paid to Natia)

        http://www.tango-houston.com/

        We are looking forward to seeing you.

        ----------------

        "To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful,
        more powerful," says Agnes De Mille.

        We are inviting you to get out of yourself, become more
        beautiful and more powerful this THURSDAY, 8-10 pm at
        1223 Peden St :)

        Expect an hour of tango basics, connection exercises and
        musicality and an hour of challenging, fun patterns where
        you can put into use what you practiced in the first hour.

        Here is a big bowl of tango passion mixed in with a cozy
        light of a star or a moon, a dash of a caressing breeze,
        a splash of a wave, a sprinkle of sand, a cool shade of
        a tree, and a touch of a sunset:

        http://www.youtube.com/user/Friendsoftango#p/u/9/5iNm_eJV03o

        Classes are on-going and you don't need to wait and
        start on a certain day. You can start now and build at
        your own pace.  You can register for 4-weeks for $50 and
        this includes 8-hours of instruction. Students pay half.
        Walk-ins are welcome and an individual class cost is $10.

        For questions, call 504 343 2406 or visit
        http://www.friendsoftango.com.

        Best wishes,
        Fuad&Özlem
        Best wishes,
        Friends of Tango
        http://www.friendsoftango.com

Friday

        Téngo Tango: Diana Gonzalo, Mercy and Oscar invite you
        to dance tango every Friday from 109:30pm till 12:30am
        at Té House of Tea, 1927 Fairview St, near Westheimer
        and Woodhead. No cover charge.  Empanadas, yerba mate and
        other refreshments for sale. BYOB ($3 corkage fee). Music
        by Oscar and guest DJ's.  http://www.teaagora.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TeHouseofTeaMap.html

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia teach group classes at King's Dance Centre

        Please register for Friday classes on the website
        http://www.damicodance.com

        Damico Dance Studio
        11151 Westheimer Road
        Houston, Texas 77042
        (Market at Westchase adjacent to Whole Foods)

        6:30pm to 7:00pm - FREE intro to tango

        This class is recommended for new students.  Please join
        us and take advantage of learning tango basics. Anybody
        can attend this class.  We will only teach the Tango
        Fundamentals to introduce the dance, and prepare new
        students for beginners class.

        7-8pm - Beginners I - this class is designed for new students.
        we will continue to teach basics and more.

        8-9pm - Beginners II

        This class is designed for more experienced tango dancers
        and graduated beginner I dancers.  our goal in this class
        is to develop better floor craft, musicality and prepare
        you for intermediate/advance class.

        http://www.tango-houston.com/

        We are looking forward to seeing you.

        If you have any questions or would like your contact
        information updated please email us info at tango-houston.com
        or call us 713-560-6695

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches group classes at Cypress Dance
        Studio, followed by group classes at Life Time Cafe.

        Cypress Dance Studio is located at the corner of 290 and
        Skinner Road, just southeast of the intersection of 290
        and Spring Cypress Rd, in northwest Houston.

        http://www.cypressdance.com
        http://www.lifetimefitness.com

        Argentine Tango Classes at Life Time Fitness of
        Willowbrook. Every Friday, 9:30pm. to 10:30pm, ages 12 and up.
        Victor will be teaching Argentine Tango, Waltz, Milonga
        and Chacarera, followed by a practica from 10:30pm to
        ? at Life Time Cafe.  Classes cover footwork, timing,
        technics, and patterns.  You do NOT need a partner to take
        these classes; Singles and or couples are welcome.  Don't
        wait, sign up NOW and step out in style and confidence.
        Life Time Fitness, 7717 Willowchase Blvd.  Willowbrook,
        TX. 77070 http://www.lifetimefitness.com,

        Private classes by appointment only; call at least three
        weeks in advance, 281-443-3322(h) or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/LifeTimeFitnessWillowbrookMap.html

Saturday

        Milonga Brasileña is the first Saturday of every month.

        Emporio Brazilian Cafe
        12288 Westheimer, #210A
        Houston, TX 77077

        9pm to 12am
        Cost: $10/person (free if you order dinner or drinks)

        Hosted by:
        Rick & Teresa
        http://milongabrasilena.net

        ----------------

        La Milonga de Los Amigos is the second Saturday of
        every month.  A different DJ every month.

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Dr, Ste. 220
        Houston, TX 77098
        (On Shepperd, one block north of Richmond.
        The studio is located above MW Cleaners.)

        9:30pm to 1:30am.

        Light snacks and drinks. BYOD.
        Cost: $10/person

        Hosted by:
        Mario & Grace, Jim & Katrine
        eMail: ourmilonga at yahoo.com

        http://milongaamigos.com/

Sunday

        Sunday Lesson - Tango, Vals and Milonga
        3:30 - 4:15 pm, $5
        All-Level lesson. Beginners and drop-ins welcome. No
        partner required.  Start anytime.

        Sunday Practice - La práctica dominguera
        4:30 - 7:00 pm, $5
        Every Sunday, even during summer recess. Dance, practice,
        share or just hang-out.  A different DJ every Sunday.

        All lessons and prácticas are at:
        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Dr, Ste. 220
        Houston, TX 77098

        The studio is located on Shepherd, one block north of
        Richmond, above MW Cleaners, at the corner of Shepherd
        and Colquitt. There is free parking in the parking lot
        in the front of the building and in the parking garage
        on the 1st and 2nd levels.

        Info: Alex (713) 724-7281, <amamontoff at yahoo.com>
        DJ Schedule posted at http://www.tangohouston.net

        Helios Milonga every Sunday:  Mariana opens up Avant
        Garden. It has been completely reborn, and looks fantastic.

        Time: Sundays, 8pm-11pm
        Where:  Avant Garden
                411 Westheimer Rd, 77006

        Donations are welcome and encouraged.  Hope to see
        you there.

        http://www.houtango.com/maps/AvantGardenMap.html

Let's tango this week.