[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (11/7/11)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Sat Nov 12 00:34:05 UTC 2011

        1111 Milonga with DJ Viju, Friday November 11

        La Milonga de los Amigos, normally on the 2nd Saturday
        of the month, has been rescheduled to accommodate
        the workshops by Carolina del Rivero and Donato
        Juárez. Please join us for a very special milonga on
        Friday, 11/11/11. What a unique day is going to be! Only
        once in our lifetime! To make it even more special, we
        are going to make a toast at 11pm:11m:11s. A dozen 1s all
        together. Let's share this special moment as one. One love,
        one passion, and one tango. The management at Your body
        center has confirmed that the AC will be running properly
        throughout the milonga. Our DJ Viju will play great tunes
        to keep us in "!!" position all night long. Get ready.
        You don't want to miss this one. Light snacks and
        drinks. BYOD. $10, $5 students w/ ID. Your Body Center,
        3605 Katy Freeway @ Heights Blvd., Houston, TX 77007. Go
        to http://www.milongaamigos.com for details.

        ----------------

        Dear Tangueros and Tangueras,

        The Helios Milonga will be canceled this Sunday November
        13 ONLY!

        Not to worry. We have a super busy weekend coming up!
        There will be two fantastic milongas this weekend:

        1111 Milonga with DJ Viju
        Friday November 11 at
        Your Body Center,
        3605 Katy Freeway @ Heights Blvd.
        Houston, TX 77007.
        Go to http://www.milongaamigos.com for details.

        Special MILONGA with Carolina Del Rivero and Donato Juarez
        Saturday, November 12 from 9:00pm to 1:00am
        River Oaks Pilates

        Go to http://www.tangohouston.net for more details.

        Happy dancing,  Mercy

        ----------------

        Friends of Tango present....

        Carolina Del Rivero & Donato Juarez

        Houston Weekend Workshop

        November 11th, 12th and 13th, 2011

        http://p11.hostingprod.com/@friendsoftango.com/files/Caro_and_Donato_Flyer2.pdf
        http://p11.hostingprod.com/@friendsoftango.com/carolina.html

        Carolina del Rivero started dancing at the age of 6. She
        studied ballet at the world-famous Teatro Colon (the most
        renowned opera house in Latin America) and later modern
        dance on at the famous “Taller de Danza Contemporanea
        del Teatro San Martin”. She discovered tango in 1995,
        and since the year 2000 Carolina has travelled around
        the world giving workshops and exhibitions. Every year
        since 2001, Carolina has been on the faculty as a master
        teacher and dancer in the “Congreso Internacional
        de Tango Argentino” (C.I.T.A) -the world's largest
        annual tango event that takes place in Buenos Aires
        every March. Applying all her artistic knowledge from
        other dances, she brings to tango, style and elegance,
        as well as a profound understanding of the technique and
        dynamics of the dance, and also of the woman’s role in
        it. She is one of the most renowned master teachers and
        performers in the world of Argentine Tango.

        Donato Juárez is one of the most talented of the new
        generation of tango dancers in Argentina. Musical, elegant,
        precise, driven, Donato teaches tango as he dances it:
        with energy, passion and sensitivity. From his hometown
        of Mar del Plata in Argentina, he has been part of a
        group of enthusiastic young dancers that has continued
        to tirelessly explore the intricacies of this dance. He
        has studied with many renowned teachers who were quick to
        notice his impressive technical skills. Donato has taught
        at international tango festivals in the United States,
        Iceland, Australia, New Zealand, Europe (Italy, Spain,
        Holland, Belgium, Greece, Switzerland, Finland), and
        Mexico and has performed in many theaters in Argentina. He
        taught and performed with Cecilia Gonzalez, in the 2006,
        2007 and 2008 International Argentine Tango Congresses
        (CITA) in Buenos Aires.

        ----------------

        Comme Il Faut for the ladies and shoes for men too

        THIS SATURDAY Nov.12th!!!!!

        Hey everybody,

        We're showing the latest *Comme Il Faut *arrivals tomorrow
        at Mom's house.

        Gorgeous shoes sizes 4-10.
        You know the place, in River Oaks.
        When: THIS *SAT. TOMORROW, November 12th!!!!!!!*
        Time: 12-5 PM
        Where: 3755 Olympia Drive, 77019. (Just off San Felipe
        between Timber and Weslyan/Willowick)

        If you can't make it tomorrow, let me know. I'll be
        staying the night and into Sunday late afternoon.

        *Also, guys if you need some shoes,* I've picked up a
        variety of men's (and a few ladies) *practice sneakers
        by 4 Corazon *($150), dressier shoes by *Fabio shoes*
        ($200), some in plain black, some with flash, and I still
        have a FEW pair of men's *2X4 al Pie. *($250).

        Call, text, or just show up, its all good!
        Laura's cell: 512-590-3644 or Ann's cell 832-289-5282!!!!!

        Hope to see you!!
        Besos,
        Laura

        --
        Laura Pellegrino
        (512)590-3644
        BsAsbaby at gmail.com
        http://www.Tangointexas.com
        http://www.laurapellegrino.com

        ----------------

        Dear Friends,

        I am working on a special projects paper topic and I have
        chosen to write about the tango community in Houston. I
        would like to write about the past, present, and hopefully
        future or our community. I would appreciate and value
        your input. I created a short survey to find out about
        the community. All responses are anonymous unless you
        include your name. I also added room to share your stories
        about the tango community, especially in the early days.
        What do you remember about the first dancers, milongas,
        etc? Again, your help is greatly appreciated as I will
        use the information gathered to paint a picture of the
        community for outsiders and those in my class not familiar
        with tango.

        Thank you very much!!
        Elizabeth

        Here's the link for the survey:
        http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07e59xe66jguud3sk3/start

        Again all answers are anonymous unless you chose to leave
        your name. Please share this with your students, friends,
        lists, etc. The more people that complete the survey the
        more accurate the results. If you are interested in knowing
        the results after the survey closes please let me know.

        ----------------

        Fandango De Tango, Nov 23-27 in Austin, TX
        An Immersion in the Art  of Argentine Tango
        Nov 23-27, 2011
        Celebrating Our 13th Annual  Event

        Over 100 hours of Tango Dancing Fun!
        Including more than 35  hours of Social Dancing!
        With more than 65 hours of Tango Lessons!
        **6  Levels of Classes **No Partners Required
        **Plenty of Practice Time  **Refreshments Provided Between Classes
        6 Milongas:  Wednesday,  Thanksgiving Brunch,
        Thursday, Friday, Saturday All-Night, Sunday
        Fabulous  Dance Performances by the Tango Masters on Sat. Night

        Early Bird Discount  Deadline is Nov 15

        Fandango  2011 Website
        http://www.FandangoDeTango.com

        Fandango 2011 Registration  Form
        http://www.FandangoDeTango.com/Fandango2011Registration.pdf

        ----------------

        Houston Winter Intensive with Tomas Howlin
        Hosted by and in partnership with Sabra Yarbrough

        A unique event designed for the Houston tango community
        of dancers...

        http://tomashowlin.squarespace.com/
        http://www.sabratango.com/

        This winter in Houston, Tomas is excited to present a new
        concept for learning and expanding your tango. There will
        be a 5 week intensive study, consisting of two weekend
        workshops joined by a series of follow up material and
        practice sessions. The material presented will cover
        the core elements of a fundamental base structure to
        dance the tango: body talk and connection, sending and
        receiving steps, direction and dynamics, and core elements
        of musicality.

        During Part One (December 9-11), we will set the groundwork
        for expanding vocabulary in tango. In Part Two (January
        13-15), we will develop exciting new steps that are
        equally innovative and useful in a social setting. Each
        class will offer an exclusive and specially produced
        video review with demonstrations and class notes. Reviews
        of classes, follow-up exercises, and how to combine the
        learned material in new ways will also be available for
        purchase on video.

        Please come to dance, grow, and evolve with us. We
        guarantee the best social experience of the holiday season,
        tango included!

        Discount pricing available until November 20. Classes
        limited and are expected to sell out.

        $90/person for full weekend of 5 classes plus supplementary
        material.  Must register by November 20.

        $120/person after November 20 if not sold out.

        To register and for more information contact
        <SabraTango at gmail.com> or 832-244-2014

        Tomas Howlin - Winter 2011/12 Workshop Series and More

        http://tomashowlin.squarespace.com/
        http://www.sabratango.com/

        ----------------

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information (plain
        text preferred), or corrections to anything in these
        messages, to <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, now back home at the Continental Club,
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

        ----------------

        The Argentine Tango Club offers group and private lessons
        for all levels in Houston, Texas. Lessons are taught by
        Mauro Marcone and Elizabeth Wingfield.  Please check the
        website for full schedule and more details.

        http://www.argentinetangoclub.org/
        info at argentinetangoclub.org
        Elizabeth 832-361-2327
        Mauro 281-797-0805

        ATC Fall 2011 Schedule:

        Mondays at UST
        Fall 2011 Semester at UST

        Mondays, August 29- December 5, 7pm- 8pm

        Fees: Free for UST students, faculty, staff. $5 per lesson for
        community and guests

        Location: Jerabek Athletic Center, 2nd Floor Dance Room, University
        of St.  Thomas.

        ----------------

        Argentine Tango for a Complete Beginner:
        Oct 31- Nov 28

        You will learn basic Milonguero steps done exclusively on
        the body.  Involves learning and refining vocabulary from
        simple back ochos to the ocho cortado; connection between
        partners, tango walk as a couple, navigation on the dance
        floor, basic conventional patterns as well as the man's
        and woman's role in tango. You are welcome as a complete
        beginner, or if you want to polish / remember what you've
        learned in the past, or if you want to to help beginners
        to learn faster.

        Oct 31- Nov 28, 5 Mondays in a row At the Continental Club
        3700 Main @ Alabama 7.00pm- 8.00pm - Tango Class $60
        for 5 classes, 50% discount for students. Register:
        http://instantango.com/registration.html

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        http://instantango.com

Tuesday

        info at argentinetangoclub.org
        Elizabeth 832-361-2327
        Mauro 281-797-0805

        ATC Fall 2011 Schedule:

        Tuesdays at SSQQ Dance Studio
        Argentine Tango for Beginners

        Tuesdays, September 6-27, 9pm- 10pm
        Next cylce: October 4-25
        Fees: $40 for the 4-week cycle, $15 drop-ins

        Location: SSQQ Dance Studio, 1431 West 20th Street in the
        Heights. Plenty of free parking. We are in Room #3 which is in
        the back of the studio.

        ----------------

        Advanced Beginner Cycle:
        Nov 1-Nov 29

        For dancers with  basic knowledge or have completed at least one
        full beginner cycle at the Continental Club. We will meet at 1223
        Peden St, Every Tuesday for 5 weeks, Nov 1st -Nov 29. One and a
        half hour class from 7.30pm- 9.00 pm. $60 for 5 weeks. Class size
        is limited, must REGISTER before attending. Email me to reserve
        space or ask for more info- indrerapal at gmail.com

        We will learn:
        M102- SIMPLE COMBINATIONS AND TURNS
        Week 1           review
        Week 2           salida cruzada and combining rock turns
        Week 3           combining rock turns with ochos and rock
                         turn to the left with the cortado
        Week 4           back-side-cross turn to the left
        Week 5           media luna turn tu the right.

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        http://instantango.com

        ----------------

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues their
        class cycle this week, now with three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop instructs at The Dance Place, 3300 Chimney Rock
        @ Beverly Hill, Suite 500.  This new space offers room
        to grow with new students.  Beginner 7-8pm, Intermediate
        8-9pm, Advanced 9-10pm.  http://www.houstontango.org/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Wednesday

        ...Ever feel the need to take it to the edge?...

        Well, now you can...  Irina and Oscar bring you Houston's
        hottest new tango venue: The Edge Milonga

        Wednesdays 9:30pm-12am
        Bacchus Cafe & Wine Bar
        2502 Dunlavy, Houston TX 77006
        [Corner of Dunlavy & Missouri, 1 block North of Westheimer]
        http://www.bacchushouston.com

        Bacchus offers a variety of wines from around the world
        including a Tango wine special for $5

        No cover at the door. Complete sobriety highly discouraged
        however, so please feel free to take advantage of our
        wine special and imbibe.

        Dress Code: Ladies, let's push the line a little and hike
        up that skirt. Gents, bring out those fancy pants.

        Abrazos, Irina y Oscar

        Remember:

        ... if you're not at the Edge, you're not living ...

        ----------------

        Sabra Yarbrough Argentine Tango Summer Series in Houston

        Level 1 (Introductory, 6 Weeks)
        Wednesdays 7 - 8pm
        Taking this class will get you out dancing Argentine Tango
        effortlessly with any partner on the social dance floor.

        Level 2 (Beginner, 6 Weeks)
        Wednesdays 8.30 - 9.30pm
        Learn the most useful figures to dance Argentine Tango
        with confidence and creativity.

        Practica 8 - 8.30pm
        Practice included with enrollment in at least one class
        on Wednesday.

        Package:
          $70 per 1 hour session
          $105 per 1.5 hours session
        Single Classes:
          $15 per hour
          $22 per 1.5 hours
        First class free, and 20% discount if you bring a partner.

        For details and location contact Sabra:
        sabra_y at yahoo.com
        http://Sabratango.com

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        info at argentinetangoclub.org

        Argentine Tango for Intermediates
        Thursdays, 9pm - 10pm
        4-week cycles run
        June 30 to July 21
        July 28 to August 18
        August 25 to September 15

        Fees: $15 per lesson drop-in, $40 for the four week cycle.

        A few things to remember:
        Cycles will cover material specific to the levels indicated
        and topics will be announced in advance.

        Location: SSQQ Dance Studio, 1431 West 20th Street in
        the Heights.  Plenty of free parking. We are in Room #3
        which is in the back of the studio.

Friday

        info at argentinetangoclub.org

        Fridays at D'Amico Dance

        Fridays, with Mauro & Elizabeth
        7-8pm, Argentine Tango for Beginners
        8-9pm, Argentine Tango for Intermediates

        Fees: All D¹Amico Dance Group classes are $12 per class
        when you register and prepay for the month. Discount
        only available during first and second weeks of the
        month. D¹Amico Dance also offers a single class drop-in
        rate of $15 per class.

        A few things to remember:
        D'Amico Dance Group classes are registered and
        prepaid through D'Amico Dance. You can register
        easily online on their website.http://damicodance.com/
        (Class Information and Registration). For any questions
        concerning classes or registration, contact Sunshine at
        Sunshine at DamicoDance.com or sign-up for their newsletters
        at http://damicodance.com/site/contact-us

        Location: D'Amico Dance, 11151 Westheimer, Houston,
        77042. Plenty of free parking. Located in the Market
        at Westchase at the corner of Westheimer & Wilcrest,
        adjacent to Whole Foods.

        ----------------

        Baires Tango has resumed their 2011 group tango classes
        at a different venue. Group classes are held every
        Friday from 8:00pm to 9:15pm at River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Dr, Ste. 220, Houston, TX 77098.
        On Shepperd, one block north of Richmond, the studio
        is located above MW Cleaners. The price for a 4-class
        module is $48 per person.  Walk-ins: $15.

        http://www.bairestangohouston.com/

        Also Meche, Rafa (713-852-7721) and Oscar (713-408-9065)
        are available for private classes, contact us by e-mail
        at <baires.tango at yahoo.com> or by phone to schedule.

        Oscar

        ----------------

        Sabra Yarbrough Argentine Tango Summer Series in Houston

        The Big Wheel Part One
        (Open Embrace, 6 Weeks)
        Friday 7 - 8.30pm
        Learn how to fly, no vehicle necessary.
        Friday Practica 8.30 - 9pm
        Special Topics classes and Workhops will be added in
        addition to the regular schedule taught by Sabra and
        other special guest instructors.

        sabra_y at yahoo.com
        http://Sabratango.com

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches group classes at Cypress Dance
        Studio, followed by group classes at Life Time Cafe.

        Cypress Dance Studio is located at the corner of 290 and
        Skinner Road, just southeast of the intersection of 290
        and Spring Cypress Rd, in northwest Houston.

        http://www.cypressdance.com
        http://www.lifetimefitness.com

        Argentine Tango Classes at Life Time Fitness of
        Willowbrook. Every Friday, 9:30pm. to 10:30pm, ages 12 and up.
        Victor will be teaching Argentine Tango, Waltz, Milonga
        and Chacarera, followed by a practica from 10:30pm to
        ? at Life Time Cafe.  Classes cover footwork, timing,
        technics, and patterns.  You do NOT need a partner to take
        these classes; Singles and or couples are welcome.  Don't
        wait, sign up NOW and step out in style and confidence.
        Life Time Fitness, 7717 Willowchase Blvd.  Willowbrook,
        TX. 77070 http://www.lifetimefitness.com,

        Private classes by appointment only; call at least three
        weeks in advance, 281-443-3322(h) or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/LifeTimeFitnessWillowbrookMap.html

Saturday

        Milonga Brasileña is the first Saturday of every month.

        Emporio Brazilian Cafe
        12288 Westheimer, #210A
        Houston, TX 77077

        9pm to 12am
        Cost: $10/person (free if you order dinner or drinks)

        Hosted by:
        Rick & Teresa
        http://milongabrasilena.net

        ----------------

        La Milonga de Los Amigos is the second Saturday of
        every month.  A different DJ every month.

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Dr, Ste. 220
        Houston, TX 77098
        (On Shepperd, one block north of Richmond.
        The studio is located above MW Cleaners.)

        10:00pm to 2:00am.

        Light snacks and drinks. BYOD.
        Cost: $10/person

        Hosted by:
        Mario & Grace, Jim & Katrine
        eMail: ourmilonga at yahoo.com

        http://milongaamigos.com/

Sunday

        Sunday Lesson with Sue & Alex
        3:30 - 4:15 PM, $5
        All-Level, Tango, Vals and Milonga
        Every Sunday, a walking element for beginners and an
        advanced movement for intermediate and advanced dancers.

        Start anytime. Drop-ins welcome. No partner required.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/lessons.html

        Sunday Práctica - La Práctica Dominguera
        4:30 - 7:00 pm, $5
        Every Sunday, dance, practice, share or just hang-out.
        A different DJ every Sunday.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/practica.html

        The lesson and práctica are at:

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Drive, Suite 220
        Houston, TX 77098

        The studio is located on the second floor above MW Cleaners
        at the corner of Shepherd and Colquitt. You just enter the
        building from Colquitt and go to the second floor. There is
        free parking in front of the building and in the parking
        garage on the 1st and 2nd levels.

        www.cosasdeltango.com
        amamontoff at yahoo.com
        (713) 724-7281

        ----------------

        Helios Milonga every Sunday:  Mariana opens up Avant
        Garden. It has been completely reborn, and looks fantastic.

        Time: Sundays, 8pm-11pm
        Where:  Avant Garden
                411 Westheimer Rd, 77006

        Donations are welcome and encouraged.  Hope to see
        you there.

        http://www.houtango.com/maps/AvantGardenMap.html

        ----------------

        Sunday Classes with Laura and Tomás

        Continuing Lessons with Laura Pellegrino and Tomás
        Corbalán on October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, and November 6,13,
        and 20.

        For scheduling, email Laura at Bsasbaby at gmail.com  or
        Tomás at Tomascorbalan at msn.com.

        Classes on Sundays at Avantgarden, 6:30-7:45pm, before the
        Helios Milonga.

        Laura y Tomás

        --
        Laura Pellegrino