[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (1/2/11)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Fri Jan 6 07:43:18 UTC 2012

        Wow, everything got busy again now that the holidays
        are over!  Getting ready for Fabian Salas & Lola Diaz
        next weekend.  Thomas Howlin rescheduled to February.
        Friends of Tango reworks their class schedule with
        multiple changes.  And milongas on Friday and Saturday.

        ----------------

        Fridays, starting
        Jan 6th with Alex and Sue
        Jan 13th with Fabian and Lola
        Jan 20th with Joan Bishop

        Tango Chose Me, 7.30pm- 9.00pm - All level tango
        introduction class, tailored to people with none to little
        tango experience.

        A different tango Maestro each Friday will introduce You to
        the basics of Argentine Tango such as tango walk, posture,
        the line of dance and etiquette.  No partner required. At
        Tango Cielo, 3710 Main st, Upstairs. Price* $15 at the
        door.  *Includes Milonga Del Angel 9.00pm-midnight ,
        a social tango dance night.

        Monday starting Jan 9th- February 6th, 5 Mondays in a
        row At the Continental Club
        3700 Main @ Alabama 7.00pm- 8.00pm - Tango Class $60
        for 5 classes, 50% discount for students
        To register : http://www.instantango.com/class_schedule.html

        We are also looking for kind hearted people to join
        the volunteer "Charlie's Angels" team for a Milonga Del
        Angel, a social tango dance night on Fridays.  If you are
        interested in seeing what does "milonga" mean, this would
        be a great way to meet people, learn a little more about
        Houston's tango scene, music and dance itself. Please
        email indrerapal at gmail.com to find out more.

        --
        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        http://instantango.com/

        ----------------

        Milonga Brasileña - Saturday, January 7, 9pm - midnight

        The restaurant is excited to continue to the monthly
        milonga for another year.  See www.milongabrasilena.net
        for 2012 dates -- normally on the first Saturday but
        subject to change when the restaurant has a special event.
        Come join us and try the food, wine, and friendship.
        And, of course, we will have great music by DJ Adriano
        Quintana. We look forward to seeing you there.

        Emporio Brazilian Café, 12288 Westheimer, $10, free if
        you order dinner or drinks.

        Thank you for attending the restaurant milonga at Emporio
        Brazilian Cafe this last year.  Tony and Carla, the owners,
        are  constantly working to improve the restaurant on our
        behalf.  On your next visit, you will see some cosmetic
        enhancements to the restaurant.  The next milonga is
        this Saturday evening, January 7 at 9PM until midnight.
        The DJ for this event is Adriano Quintana.  As always,
        I am eager to hear his milonga music program.

        Teresa and I wish you and your family a healthy and
        prosperous new year.  I hope you can come to the Emporio
        Brazilian Cafe and enjoy the food and milonga.

        Best wishes for 2012

        Rick & Teresa Williams
        Milonga Brasileña
        ricwms at swbell.net or terwms at swbell.net
        (281) 589-2644

        ----------------

        Friends of Tango write:

        Didn't you wish for more tango this year? So here it is:
        3 days of tango classes, milongas and a chance to socialize
        with and get to know two stars, who shine very brightly
        in the tango sky! :)

        Tango takes its sweet time to come along but the good news
        is we are only 2 weeks from a workshop that is a promise to
        help you take a huge step forward as an all around dancer.

        Fabian Salas and Lola Diaz will be in the space city to
        teach a workshop in January 13-15, 2012.

        Why? Because last year's workshop was a blast and it left
        us all asking for more. But there is more than that. We
        are hosting them because we have been in their classes. So
        here is our testament.

        It is super fun and yet you will find yourself doing
        things you didn't think were possible. Fabian, who danced
        and taught tango for 30 years around the world, and Lola,
        who were already on stage productions at Teatro Colon as
        a child ballet dancer, are both fluent in excellence and
        have great insight into the workings of the body.

        Fabian is one of the masters who shaped Argentine Tango as
        we know it today. He was a famous tango teacher most of
        his life, and he taught many dancers we watch and admire
        today. He is the founder and organizer of CITA (Congreso
        Internacional de Tango Argentino), world's biggest and
        foremost tango event held annually in Buenos Aires.

        Lola started her career very early. She grew up performing
        at Teatro Colon, Buenos Aires's famous opera house and
        became the professional partner first of Pablo Veron,
        then of Fabian Salas at a young age. She brings to tango
        her background as a classically trained dancer and her
        understanding of the body together with grace and elegance.

        Find the workshop schedule and registration information
        at www.friendsoftango.com.

        ***Last time, we had a nice balance of leads and
        follows. To strike the balance again, we encourage inviting
        a partner to attend the workshops with you. Leaders,
        remember! Whether they say yay or nay, women love being
        asked. I know because I am one. So ask them anyway! :)

        ----------------

        Hello dancers!

        Here's the big news.Tomas Howlin will now be visiting
        Houston the weekend of February 3rd-5th only. Due to a full
        program of events in the area, we took the opportunity of
        postponing Tomas' trips to Houston until a more convenient
        time for everyone. The original project was for two
        weekends that included multiple sessions with Tomas and
        several ways to improve on the material between his visits.
        Because the program we were offering was a big project for
        us both and an entirely new concept of learning tango, we
        are finding it is better to first offer a single weekend
        event that will preview the format and hopefully inspire
        the Houston dance community to participate in future long
        term projects.

        I have learned through my experience that masters of the
        art of tango bring an energy to the social floor that
        heightens the energy of everyone in the room. If you
        want to know what I mean, just come out to the milongas
        and you can see it happen. The more people participate,
        the more energy we have to create something magnificent
        for ourselves and each other. Master classes can help you
        become a better dancer but can also help you to build
        connections with more people in the community by way
        of the common experience we'll be sharing. The value of
        learning the class material is only part of it.

        Tomas and I are focused on encouraging the most positive
        effect for Houston tango dancers by creating an environment
        that is nurturing, easy going and fun where we can all
        create new standards for growth and development in social
        tango dancing.  During his visit, Tomas will certainly
        expose some of the great secrets of tango, those that
        make a difference! And, don't forget, he knows hundreds
        of steps and that's before he even opens his embrace for
        the really fancy stuff. That means you will learn how
        to dance like crazy in tiny spaces, so say hello to the
        crowded social dance floor where even more can enjoy and
        add to the experience!

        For questions and registration, contact me directly by
        email or phone at 832-244-2014.

        See you in February!

        Sabra

        ----------------

        iFest 2012- Argentina, April 21-22 & 28-29

        The Argentine Tango Club has been hard at work
        collaborating with the creative team of the Houston
        International Festival, or iFest, to bring the best of
        Argentina to Houston for this years festival in April
        2012. Renowned bandoneonist Hector Del Curto will perform
        with his Eternal Tango Quintet and dancers. There will also
        be performances, outdoor milongas and lesson demonstrations
        during the festival to highlight the local tango community.
        There promises to be something for everyone! Please mark
        your calendars for April 21-22 and 28-29 and make plans
        to attend! There will be a special milonga on Saturday,
        April 28. Stay tuned for the schedule of tango events
        and ways to participate. http://www.ifest.org Contact:
        Elizabeth 832-361-2327 or elizabeth at argentinetangoclub.org

        ----------------

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information (plain
        text preferred), or corrections to anything in these
        messages, to <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Monday starting Jan 9th- February 6th, 5 Mondays in a
        row At the Continental Club
        3700 Main @ Alabama 7.00pm- 8.00pm - Tango Class $60
        for 5 classes, 50% discount for students

        To register : http://www.instantango.com/class_schedule.html

        ----------------

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, now back home at the Continental Club,
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

        ----------------

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        http://instantango.com

Tuesday

        Tuesday afternoon starting January 3rd
        New early PM class for people with flexible time schedule
        At the Cheryhurst Community center 1700 Missouri, 77006
        12.00pm-1.30pm A complete beginner class by Indre, $60 for 5 weeks
        1.30pm -3.00pm guided, donation based practice

        ----------------

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues their
        class cycle this week, now with three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop instructs at The Dance Place, 3300 Chimney Rock
        @ Beverly Hill, Suite 500.  This new space offers room
        to grow with new students.  Beginner 7-8pm, Intermediate
        8-9pm, Advanced 9-10pm.  http://www.houstontango.org/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Wednesday

        The Edge Milonga
        brought to you by Irina Dralyuk

        Wednesdays 9:30pm-12:30am
        Bacchus Cafe & Wine Bar
        2502 Dunlavy, Houston TX 77006
        [Corner of Dunlavy & Missouri, 1 block North of Westheimer]
        http://www.bacchushouston.com

        Beginner class at 8:30-9:30pm, $10/person, no partner
        needed

        Bacchus offers a variety of wines from around the world,
        with wine specials on Tango night!

        No cover at the door. Complete sobriety highly discouraged
        however, so please feel free to take advantage of our
        wine special and imbibe!

        Dress Code: Ladies, let's push the line a little and hike
        up that skirt. Gents, bring out those fancy pants

        ... if you're not at the Edge, you're not living ...

        ----------------

        Sabra Yarbrough Argentine Tango Summer Series in Houston

        Level 1 (Introductory, 6 Weeks)
        Wednesdays 7 - 8pm
        Taking this class will get you out dancing Argentine Tango
        effortlessly with any partner on the social dance floor.

        Level 2 (Beginner, 6 Weeks)
        Wednesdays 8.30 - 9.30pm
        Learn the most useful figures to dance Argentine Tango
        with confidence and creativity.

        Practica 8 - 8.30pm
        Practice included with enrollment in at least one class
        on Wednesday.

        Package:
          $70 per 1 hour session
          $105 per 1.5 hours session
        Single Classes:
          $15 per hour
          $22 per 1.5 hours
        First class free, and 20% discount if you bring a partner.

        For details and location contact Sabra:
        sabra_y at yahoo.com
        http://Sabratango.com

        ----------------

        The Argentine Tango Club offers group and private lessons
        for all levels in Houston, Texas. Lessons are taught by
        Mauro Marcone and Elizabeth Wingfield.  Please check the
        website for full schedule and more details.

        http://www.argentinetangoclub.org/
        info at argentinetangoclub.org
        Elizabeth 832-361-2327
        Mauro 281-797-0805

        Wednesdays at The Dance Place
        New Beginner and Intermediate classes starting January 4

        7-8pm, Argentine Tango for Beginners
        8-9pm, Argentine Tango for Intermediates
        Fees: $50 per 4-week series, $15 drop-in per lesson
        Location: The Dance Place, 3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500,
        Houston, Texas 77056.

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        info at argentinetangoclub.org
        Elizabeth 832-361-2327
        Mauro 281-797-0805

        Thursdays at University of St. Thomas
        Spring 2012 Semester at UST
        Thursdays, January 19 to April 26, 8pm- 9pm
        Fees: Free for UST students, faculty, staff. $5 per lesson
        for community and guests

        Location: Jerabek Athletic Center,
        2nd Floor Dance Room, University of St.  Thomas.

Friday

        Angel's Milonga

        Please grace us with your angelic smiles, white evening
        wear and celestial moves at the opening of Tango Cielo,
        Houston's new home for Friday Milongas.  Be the first
        to dance in our gorgeous, newly restored Tango Heaven with
        very special guests Tomas Howlin and Sabra Yarbrough.

        Fine French wine generously donated by Cafe Rabelais

        Fridays,  9pm-12pm
        3710 Main st (@ Alabama)
        (Between Tacos A Go Go and Big Top)
        $10 at the door upstairs, students pay $5
        Free street parking or $5 parking lot.

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        instantango.com

        ----------------

        info at argentinetangoclub.org
        Elizabeth 832-361-2327
        Mauro 281-797-0805

        Fridays at D'Amico Dance Studio
        New Beginner and Intermediate classes starting January 6

        7-8pm, Argentine Tango for Beginners
        8-9pm, Argentine Tango for Intermediates
        Fees: $48 per 4-week series, $15 drop-in per lesson
        Location: D'Amico Dance Studio, 11151 Westheimer,
        Houston 77042

        ----------------

        Baires Tango group tango classes are held every Friday from
        8:00pm to 9:15pm at River Oaks Pilates Studio 3425 South
        Shepherd Dr, Ste. 220, Houston, TX 77098.  On Shepperd,
        one block north of Richmond, the studio is located above MW
        Cleaners. The price for a 4-class module is $48 per person.
        Walk-ins: $15.

        http://www.bairestangohouston.com/

        Also Meche, Rafa (713-852-7721) and Oscar (713-408-9065)
        are available for private classes, contact us by e-mail
        at <baires.tango at yahoo.com> or by phone to schedule.

        Oscar

        ----------------

        Sabra Yarbrough Argentine Tango Summer Series in Houston

        The Big Wheel Part One
        (Open Embrace, 6 Weeks)
        Friday 7 - 8.30pm
        Learn how to fly, no vehicle necessary.
        Friday Practica 8.30 - 9pm
        Special Topics classes and Workhops will be added in
        addition to the regular schedule taught by Sabra and
        other special guest instructors.

        sabra_y at yahoo.com
        http://Sabratango.com

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches group classes at Cypress Dance
        Studio, followed by group classes at Life Time Cafe.

        Cypress Dance Studio is located at the corner of 290 and
        Skinner Road, just southeast of the intersection of 290
        and Spring Cypress Rd, in northwest Houston.

        http://www.cypressdance.com
        http://www.lifetimefitness.com

        Argentine Tango Classes at Life Time Fitness of
        Willowbrook. Every Friday, 9:30pm. to 10:30pm, ages 12 and up.
        Victor will be teaching Argentine Tango, Waltz, Milonga
        and Chacarera, followed by a practica from 10:30pm to
        ? at Life Time Cafe.  Classes cover footwork, timing,
        technics, and patterns.  You do NOT need a partner to take
        these classes; Singles and or couples are welcome.  Don't
        wait, sign up NOW and step out in style and confidence.
        Life Time Fitness, 7717 Willowchase Blvd.  Willowbrook,
        TX. 77070 http://www.lifetimefitness.com,

        Private classes by appointment only; call at least three
        weeks in advance, 281-443-3322(h) or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/LifeTimeFitnessWillowbrookMap.html

Saturday

        Milonga Brasileña is the first Saturday of every month.

        Emporio Brazilian Cafe
        12288 Westheimer, #210A
        Houston, TX 77077

        9pm to 12am
        Cost: $10/person (free if you order dinner or drinks)

        Hosted by:
        Rick & Teresa
        http://milongabrasilena.net

        ----------------

        La Milonga de Los Amigos is the second Saturday of
        every month.  A different DJ every month.

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Dr, Ste. 220
        Houston, TX 77098
        (On Shepperd, one block north of Richmond.
        The studio is located above MW Cleaners.)

        10:00pm to 2:00am.

        Light snacks and drinks. BYOD.
        Cost: $10/person

        Hosted by:
        Mario & Grace, Jim & Katrine
        eMail: ourmilonga at yahoo.com

        http://milongaamigos.com/

Sunday

        Sunday Lesson with Sue & Alex
        3:30 - 4:15 PM, $5
        All-Level, Tango, Vals and Milonga
        Every Sunday, a walking element for beginners and an
        advanced movement for intermediate and advanced dancers.

        Start anytime. Drop-ins welcome. No partner required.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/lessons.html

        Sunday Práctica - La Práctica Dominguera
        4:30 - 7:00 pm, $5
        Every Sunday, dance, practice, share or just hang-out.
        A different DJ every Sunday.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/practica.html

        The lesson and práctica are at:

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Drive, Suite 220
        Houston, TX 77098

        The studio is located on the second floor above MW Cleaners
        at the corner of Shepherd and Colquitt. You just enter the
        building from Colquitt and go to the second floor. There is
        free parking in front of the building and in the parking
        garage on the 1st and 2nd levels.

        www.cosasdeltango.com
        amamontoff at yahoo.com
        (713) 724-7281