[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (6/10/13)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Fri Jun 14 20:38:35 UTC 2013

        Tasty Tango Tuesday is back! Every second Tuesday of the
        month at the MKT Bar and restaurant. Tasty food vine and
        tango dancing.

        Enoy live music starting at 7pm by Glover Gill and Tomas
        Thomas Escalante.

        Mini tango lesson with Juan Manuel Rangel at 6pm.

        1001 Austin St, Downtown Houston.

        --La Rubia

        ----------------

        Hello dear tangueros!

        Summer is approaching, and we have decided to take a very well
        deserved break as of June 8, 2013.

        Enjoy the wonderful weather and we will soon post news about
        the return of "Flor de Milonga"!!

        Grace and Mario
        Flor de Milonga

        ----------------

        Susana Miller Milonguero Style Workshops - July 20-21

        http://houtango.com/pipermail/houtango-l/2013-April/000850.html

        ----------------

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information (plain
        text preferred), or corrections to anything in these
        messages, to <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano at his Glover Gill Milonga.

        8:15 - 9:30 pm - Live Solo Tango on Piano by Glover Gill
        9:30 - 11:00 pm - Live DJ

        3700 Main at The Continental Club
        TIP JAR on the Piano

        Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

        ----------------

        Begin Tango cycle

        Four week cycle starts every first Monday of the month.

        Cycle consists of four 75min classes 7.00-8.15pm. At the
        Continental Club 3700 Main @ Alabama

        $50 whole cycle, $15 single class. No partner necessary.

        In four weeks you will be introduced to the fundamentals
        of Argentine Tango. To mention few - tango walk, salida
        basica, front ad back ochos, ocho cortado and gyro. You
        will learn to use these steps comfortably within the line
        of dance staying connected with your partner and music.
        Perfect for those who are complete beginners, polishing
        their tango basics or wants to be challenged as a dancer
        with a new form of movement - Argentine Tango. All
        the steps are executed in milonguero- heart to heart
        embrace. After completing this cycle you are encouraged
        to repeat the cycle or move one step forward to 'Midway
        to Tango'

Tuesday

        Mauro & Elizabeth teach Beginners and Pre-Intermediate
        at the University of St. Thomas, 8pm-9:15pm

        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room, 4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston,
        TX 77006 Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($2)
        or on Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St
        between West Alabama and Richmond Map

        Fees: All Tuesday Group classes are free for UST students,
        faculty, staff, and Jerabeck members. The public is
        invited and welcome to attend the lessons. There is no
        set fee for the public and donations are appreciated.

        This class is designed for the beginner and
        pre-intermediate level. No previous experience is
        required. We begin each class with a warm-up, walking, and
        technique exercises to prepare the mind and body to dance
        tango. These exercises lay the foundation for good tango
        technique.  They improve balance, posture, flexibility,
        and body movement. We then continue the lesson with a
        general topic. These include navigation for the milonga,
        communication with our partners, simple musicality. We use
        the basic combinations -- basic salida (salida basico), the
        box step (baldosa), walking (caminada), ochos, and simple
        turns (cambio de frente and giros). The combinations are
        not taught  as steps to be copied. Instead, we teach how
        to dance organically, from the lead all the way through
        the resolution. During every class we also talk about
        how to approach social tango dancing. We talk about the
        milongas, the etiquette, how to invite a partner to dance,
        and the tricks for smooth navigation. This class progresses
        during the semester. However, drop-ins are always welcome.

        ----------------

        Tango Lessons with Susana Collins on Tuesdays
        at the Melody Club

        Each term there will be a new topic of Tango concepts
        that we’ll work through to develop your social dancing
        and Tango skills.

        This will not be a beginners class. Anyone that has already
        covered the Tango basics is welcome to join. Each month I
        will run an introduction workshop prior to the new course
        starting for anyone wanting to join the class. Details
        of the next Intro workshop will be available soon.

        Day: Tuesdays
        Time: 7:30-9:00pm with 1/2 hr practice after class
        Venue: Melody Club, 3027 Crossview Dr, Houston.
        Cost: $50 for the month.
        Payment: Cash or Check. Credit card payment can be made via Paypal
        prior to the first class.

        ******Please note******
        Booking is essential. Numbers are strictly limited to
        ensure number balance and room to move. Please ensure
        that you have booked with Amanda BEFORE class so you are
        not disappointed. First in first served.

        http://www.fundancehouston.com/tango/

        ----------------

        Tango at Noon

        New early PM class for people with flexible time schedule

        Everyone is welcomed to help out and learn in an all level
        tango class, at the Cheryhurst community center. 12 noon,
        1700 Missouri St, every Tuesday. Practice 1.30-3.00pm
        afterwards. Take a tango lunch break away with tango.

        Now you don't have to be in Buenos Aires in order to
        dance Argentine Tango during the day ;)

        --
        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        http://instantango.com/

Wednesday

        Group lessons with Elizabeth Wingfield
        Argentine Tango for Beginners
        at D'Amico Dance, 8pm-9pm

        This beginner's level class is ideal for anyone who wants
        to find out what all the buzz is about tango. This class
        runs on a monthly cycle so each month we start from the
        beginning. It is the perfect introduction to the world of
        tango. Although it is a shorter cycle, we work with the
        students and build upon the subjects to keep the students
        engaged and excited about learning. This class can be
        repeated through several cycles to help reinforce key
        concepts. After a month in this class you will be able
        to walk together with your partner, do the basic salida,
        and feel comfortable going out to the milonga.

        Fees: All D'Amico Dance Group classes are $12 per class
        when you register and prepay for the month. Discount
        only available during first and second weeks of the
        month. D'Amico Dance also offers a single class drop-in
        rate of $15 per class. Class Description

        A few things to remember:
        D'Amico Dance Group classes are registered and prepaid
        through D'Amico Dance. You can register easily online on
        their website.  http://damicodance.com (Class Information
        and Registration). For any questions concerning classes or
        registration, contact Sunshine at Sunshine at DamicoDance.com

        Location: D'Amico Dance, 11151 Westheimer, Houston,
        77042. Plenty of free parking. Located in the Market
        at Westchase, at the corner of Westheimer & Wilcrest,
        adjacent to Whole Foods.

        ----------------

        The Edge Milonga
        brought to you by Irina Dralyuk

        Wednesdays 9:30pm-12:30am
        Bacchus Cafe & Wine Bar
        2502 Dunlavy, Houston TX 77006
        [Corner of Dunlavy & Missouri, 1 block North of Westheimer]
        http://www.bacchushouston.com

        Beginner class at 8:30-9:30pm, $10/person, no partner
        needed

        Bacchus offers a variety of wines from around the world,
        with wine specials on Tango night!

        No cover at the door. Complete sobriety highly discouraged
        however, so please feel free to take advantage of our
        wine special and imbibe!

        Dress Code: Ladies, let's push the line a little and hike
        up that skirt. Gents, bring out those fancy pants

        ... if you're not at the Edge, you're not living ...

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        Intermediate class with Mauro & Elizabeth
        8pm-9:15pm

        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room, 4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston,
        TX 77006 Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($2)
        or on Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St
        between West Alabama and Richmond Map

        Fees: All Thursday Group classes are $12 per class when you
        prepay for the month. Discount only available during first
        and second weeks of the month. A single class drop-in rate
        of $15 per class. Discount of 50% for university faculty,
        staff, and students, all universities included.

        This class is designed for the intermediate level. Students
        should be familiar with the basics of walking, posture,
        navigation, and technique. Knowledge of ochos, turns,
        and weight changes are important at this level. Each class
        begins with a warm-up, walking, and technique exercises to
        prepare the mind and body to dance tango. These exercises
        are important. As intermediates, we spend more time
        focusing on body mechanics and kinesiology in order to
        dance organically. We ask the body and mind to do more and
        the response can be very exciting and creative! We then
        continue the lesson with a general topic. These include
        navigation for the milonga, different walking systems
        with our partners, intermediate musicality (milonga and
        vals). We use intermediate combinations- syncopated salida
        (salida cruzada), cross and parallel walking, traspie,
        turns with adornments, displacements (sacadas), and many
        more. As always, the combinations are not taught as steps
        to be copied. Instead, we teach how to dance organically,
        from the lead all the way through the resolution. We
        ask the students to think creatively, find solutions to
        "mistake" (there are no absolute mistakes in tango,
        only happy accidents), and to develop a style that is
        unique. During every class we talk in depth about the
        hows and whys of tango- the physiological, mechanical,
        and psychological factors. This class progresses during
        the semester.  However, drop-ins are always welcome.

Friday

        Angel's Milonga

        Please grace us with your angelic smiles, white evening
        wear and celestial moves at the opening of Tango Cielo,
        Houston's new home for Friday Milongas.

        Fine French wine generously donated by Cafe Rabelais

        Fridays,  9pm-12pm
        3710 Main st (@ Alabama)
        (Between Tacos A Go Go and Big Top)
        $10 at the door upstairs, students pay $5
        Free street parking or $5 parking lot.

        Tango Chose Me, 8pm- 9.00pm

        All level tango introduction class, tailored to people
        with no to little tango experience.

        A different tango Maestro each Friday will introduce You to
        the basics of Argentine Tango such as tango walk, posture,
        the line of dance and etiquette.  No partner required. At
        Tango Cielo, 3710 Main st, Upstairs. Price: $15 at the
        door, includes Milonga Del Angel from 9.00pm-midnight,
        a social tango dance night.

        We are also looking for kind hearted people to join
        the volunteer "Charlie's Angels" team for a Milonga Del
        Angel, a social tango dance night on Fridays.  If you are
        interested in seeing what does "milonga" mean, this would
        be a great way to meet people, learn a little more about
        Houston's tango scene, music and dance itself. Please
        email indrerapal at gmail.com to find out more.

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        instantango.com

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches group classes at Cypress Dance
        Studio, followed by group classes at Life Time Cafe.

        Cypress Dance Studio is located at the corner of 290 and
        Skinner Road, just southeast of the intersection of 290
        and Spring Cypress Rd, in northwest Houston.

        http://www.cypressdance.com
        http://www.lifetimefitness.com

        Argentine Tango Classes at Life Time Fitness of
        Willowbrook. Every Friday, 9:30pm. to 10:30pm, ages 12 and up.
        Victor will be teaching Argentine Tango, Waltz, Milonga
        and Chacarera, followed by a practica from 10:30pm to
        ? at Life Time Cafe.  Classes cover footwork, timing,
        technics, and patterns.  You do NOT need a partner to take
        these classes; Singles and or couples are welcome.  Don't
        wait, sign up NOW and step out in style and confidence.
        Life Time Fitness, 7717 Willowchase Blvd.  Willowbrook,
        TX. 77070 http://www.lifetimefitness.com,

        Private classes by appointment only; call at least three
        weeks in advance, 281-443-3322(h) or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/LifeTimeFitnessWillowbrookMap.html

        ----------------

        Midway to Tango - an intermediate level class

        Four week cycle every first Friday of the month

        Cycle consists of four 60 min classes with 15 minute
        practice at the end 8:00pm-9:15pm at Tango Cielo, 3710
        Main St

        No partner necessary.

        This class is designed for dancers with complete knowledge
        of tango fundamentals (read Begin Tango). In Midway to
        Tango sessions you will learn changes of direction in
        linear and circular movements. You will be introduced
        to more advanced patterns and steps such as sandwich,
        parada, sacada and more. Emphasis in Midway Tango is
        placed on developing a skill to combine basic steps and
        translate it to a new musically flowing sequences. Steps
        and patterns are done in both milonguero and salon style
        embrace to emphasize the flexibility in the connection.

        More info at http://www.instantango.com/classes.html

Saturday

        Milonga Brasileña is the first Saturday of every month.

        Emporio Brazilian Cafe
        12288 Westheimer, #210A
        Houston, TX 77077

        9pm to 12am
        Cost: $10/person (free if you order dinner or drinks)

        Hosted by:
        Rick & Teresa
        http://milongabrasilena.net

        ----------------

        Flor de Milonga - The Second Saturday of the Month

        The Second Saturday of the Month Milonga has adopted a new
        great name: ”Flor de Milonga”. This event continues
        to be held at the River Oaks Pilates Studio every Second
        Saturday of the Month, with Mario, Grace and other local
        tangueros as hosts. Come dance with us to the best DJ’s
        tunes, with wonderful people, in a great location, and
        colorful studio. Don’t miss it!

        $10 admission, $5 w/student ID
        You’re welcome to BYOB
        Free Parking
        Doors will automatically close at 12:30 am

        Hosted by: Mario & Grace
        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 S Shepherd Dr, Ste 200
        Houston, TX 77098

        Editor’s note: “Flor de milonga” can have two
        meanings. In regular Spanish it means “flower of the
        milonga”, while in Lunfardo it means “what a great
        milonga!”.

        -- El Ruso

        ----------------

        Houston's Newest Milonga -- "El Abrazo"

        Held the 3rd Saturday of every month

        Scrumptious snacks, drinks & sweets, BYOB

        Please, let us know in advance and we will celebrate
        your birthday

        From  9:00pm to 1:00am at River Oaks Pilates Studio

        3425 South Shepherd  Dr. @ Colquitt Suite 220
        (Entrance on Colquitt)
        Houston, Texas  77098

        Price $  10.00/person
        Students (w/proper I.D. only)  $5.00

        Hosted by Ester & Art

        elabrazomilonga at hotmail.com   Ph. 713-688-4433

Sunday

        Sunday Lesson with Sue & Alex
        3:30 - 4:15 PM, $5
        All-Level, Tango, Vals and Milonga
        Every Sunday, a walking element for beginners and an
        advanced movement for intermediate and advanced dancers.

        Start anytime. Drop-ins welcome. No partner required.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/lessons.html

        Sunday Práctica - La Práctica Dominguera
        4:30 - 7:00 pm, $5
        Every Sunday, dance, practice, share or just hang-out.
        A different DJ every Sunday.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/practica.html

        The lesson and práctica are at:

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Drive, Suite 220
        Houston, TX 77098

        The studio is located on the second floor above MW Cleaners
        at the corner of Shepherd and Colquitt. You just enter the
        building from Colquitt and go to the second floor. There is
        free parking in front of the building and in the parking
        garage on the 1st and 2nd levels.

        http://www.cosasdeltango.com
        amamontoff at yahoo.com
        (713) 724-7281