[HouTango-L] Susana Miller Tango Milonguero Workshops | June 19-26

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Fri Jun 13 18:17:50 UTC 2014

Susana Miller Tango Milonguero Workshops | June 19-26

Susana Miller is the preeminent teacher of Argentine Tango in the
Milonguero Style, a term she coined to introduce tango apilado
to students around the world. Milonguero Style is a synthesis of
Susana’s studies over the years of the unique dancing styles
of the older milongueros. She was the first person to study the
anonymous and intuitive milongueros’ dance, to enjoy tango in the
same way they have done for decades: dancing socially. She has a
gift for deciphering their distinct vocabularies and choreographic
combinations, and transmitting these to her students. In this
way she has developed a rich language that condenses more than a
hundred years of tango tradition. Her work as a teacher has shaped
tango as we know it now, not only in Buenos Aires, but also around
the world.  Her ability to focus on key concepts and communicate
them with ease distinguishes her from her predecessors, since she
can – with a language as technically correct as it is accessible
– share the secrets of the Porteña milonga with everyone who
wants to become part of it. Teacher of teachers, she has worked
with most of the renowned milonguero teachers and is constantly
training new generations of professional instructors. She has
toured all around the world.

Workshop Particulars

Each class builds on what is learned in the previous: It is
recommended to take the entire sequence per day or the whole
package (while also taking advantage of the discount!)

Saturday June 21 2014

A 1:00-2:15: What is inside the tango?
This is a workshop for EVERYBODY, for all levels and all styles
of tango, Foundations: Balance, connection, posture, embrace.
Rhythm. The walking has all the “mantras”. We “dance on the
tile”. How to AVOID feet and spine PAIN. We use feet like hands.

B 2:45-4:00: Tango – Intermediate: Steps are situations.
Basics to develop impeccable navigation. We use our
vulnerability, not our strength. The dialogue between our
bodies is instinctive. Energy and fluidity versus strength and
control. Remembering and forgetting. We change the programming:
let’s dance BAD to dance GOOD. Balance in back ochos for women
and men.

Bring a camera to record in the last 5 minutes (note: recording
allowed only when announced)

C 4:30-5:45: Tango – Advanced
A sequence of one of the great milongueros who is no longer among
us: a giro (turn) with traspie and sacada. Balance technique
in turns for leader & follower. Then a mind-blowing backwards
corrida! I will show it to you!

Bring a camera or phone to record in the last five minutes (note:
recording only allowed when announced).

Sunday June 22 2014

D 1:00-2:15: Tango Vals – Intermediate & Advanced
Vals and Tango share the same sequences. It is the rhythmic model
that creates the vals. Learn a turn that never ends! A traspie that
is exceedingly “porteno”! The woman “flies” around the
body of the man. The man leads but follows. The woman “listens
to the body” of his partner. The result is a spontaneous act.

Bring a camera or phone to record in the last five minutes (note:
recording only allowed when announced).

E 2:45-4:00: Technique for Women – All levels.
Balance, embrace, posture. The actions of the legs are from
“somebody else”. How to “listen to his body”.  This class
is recommended for men, too!  Bring socks as well as dance shoes.

F 4:30-5:45: Milonga – All levels. Classic Milonga Caminada for all levels.
A special traspie for advanced. Gain a deeper understanding of the
rhythm of the milonga.  We will also dance with alternative music.

Bring a camera or phone to record in the last five minutes (note:
recording only allowed when announced).

All 6 classes          120.00
Any 3 classes           60.00
Individual classes      25.00

Note: Susana reserves the right to change or adjust the syllabus
at any point during the workshop based on the students’ skill
/comfort level.

Mail check payable to: Srinivas Vishnubhotla, 1824 Rosedale
St. Apt 1 Houston TX 77004 or via paypal to bhotla at gmail.com

Private Lessons: Susana will be available One Hour Private Lessons,
first come first served. All individuals for privates must come
with a partner, though instruction will be dedicated to person
taking the class. Lessons are $100.0/single or $120.0/couple
(plus floor fee, if it applies). Contact Srini at 832.282.6894
or bhotla at gmail.com for questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrT9a-CxzM4

http://www.susanamiller.com.ar