[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (2/9/15)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Fri Feb 13 19:51:28 UTC 2015

        El Fueye milonga every Saturday has moved with their host
        to a Richmond location:

        Saturday Night Milonga - El Fueye

        "El Fueye" (fwe-sh-e) is the term bandoneon players use
        to lovingly refer to their instrument.  In the hands of a
        master, the fueye breathes life into the music and leads
        the dancers around the pista.

        Saturdays
        9pm - free tango lesson
        10pm to 2am - milonga

        Costa's Elixir Lounge
        2239 Richmond Avenue
        Houston, TX  77098
        http://costahouston.com

        DJ: Elizabeth
        Dancing Cover: $5
        Free Parking: Lot, Valet, Street

        Host/Organizers: Argentine Tango Club

        http://www.argentinetangoclub.org
        https://www.facebook.com/argentinetangoclub

        ----------------

        Adriana Estes confirms:

        Pablo Inza and Sofia Saborido are coming back to
        Houston. Save the date for June 12-14 fo...

        ----------------

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information (plain
        text preferred), or corrections to anything in these
        messages, to <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Tango in Houston just got sweeter

        Fire up your Mondays learning the alluring Argentine Tango

        Group Dance Lessons
        7:00 - 8:00pm
        Martin Fierro Room, upstairs at Tierra del Fuego Restaurant
        - Sugar Land Led by Argentine master teacher and performer
        Susana

        Practica
        8:00 - 9:00pm
        Stay, mingle and practice your new dance moves while
        enjoying food and drink specials.

        Live tango music every week4end with the Bandoneon of
        Pablo Di Lauro and dance performances by Susana and Marcos.

        Class Info: 832-646-3149

        Come take a little bite of Argentina in the Heart of
        Sugar Land

        ----------------

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano at his Glover Gill Milonga.

        8:15 - 9:30 pm - Live Solo Tango on Piano by Glover Gill
        9:30 - 11:00 pm - Live DJ

        3700 Main at The Continental Club
        TIP JAR on the Piano

        Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

        ----------------

        Begin Tango cycle

        Four week cycle starts every first Monday of the month.

        Cycle consists of four 75min classes 7.00-8.15pm. At the
        Continental Club 3700 Main @ Alabama

        $50 whole cycle, $15 single class. No partner necessary.

        In four weeks you will be introduced to the fundamentals
        of Argentine Tango. To mention few - tango walk, salida
        basica, front ad back ochos, ocho cortado and gyro. You
        will learn to use these steps comfortably within the line
        of dance staying connected with your partner and music.
        Perfect for those who are complete beginners, polishing
        their tango basics or wants to be challenged as a dancer
        with a new form of movement - Argentine Tango. All
        the steps are executed in milonguero- heart to heart
        embrace. After completing this cycle you are encouraged
        to repeat the cycle or move one step forward to 'Midway
        to Tango'

        ----------------

        Focusing on the social tango that is danced in the clubs
        of Buenos Aires.  Classes will include a comprehensive
        overview from building a strong base to integrating
        exciting steps, patterns and footwork.

        Level I Argentine Tango - Mondays 8 pm
        Your chance to dip into Tango Fundamentals and get into
        the dance you always wanted try...!!  Beginning with
        'The Tango Walk - Walking to the Compás (beat) with
        true Tango Elegance, together with a partner. It will
        focus on Embrace, Musicality and clear lead and follow
        techniques. Moving onto skills to help you maneuver the
        dance floor.

        NO PARTNER NECESSARY
        What to wear:  Comfortable clothes to move in, Footwear
        that stays on your feet and allows you to glide or slide
        easily on the floor such as leather sole or dance shoes
        (Non-rubber sole)

        Location:
        Houston Dance Factory - 5711 Hillcroft Ave., Suite D-3
        (Harwin side - Second Floor - Room C)

        Cost:  $50 per month or $15 drop in
        Payment:  Cash or Check

        PLEASE PRE-REGISTER VIA EMAIL to have an idea of head count and
        try to keep class as gender balanced as possible.

        Call or contact for any questions.

        Susana
        832.646.3149
        susanactango at yahoo.com
        http://www.susanatango.com

Tuesday

        Tango dance classes with live bandoneón on Tuesdays at
        Tierra del Fuego Restaurant, Sugarland.

        Direct from Buenos Aires:

        Secrets of the Tango: Revealed
        Revolutionary Tango Classes by Mong-Lan

        Tuesdays, beginning Oct 21, with live Bandoneón Music!

        Tierra del Fuego TX Restaurante Argentino, Sugar Land,
        and at other locations in Houston.

        Take advantage of this unique opportunity never before
        offered in the U.S.  For more info, please visit:
        http://www.monglan.com/tango

        Mong-Lan has performed and taught tango in Argentina,
        the U.S., Italy, Japan, Thailand and Vietnam. She has
        performed tango in many public performances in Buenos
        Aires, to include in such mythic milongas as Salon
        Canning (Parakultural), La Confiteria Ideal, etc., and
        in such reputable tango houses as Esquina Homero Manzi.
        A Fulbright Fellow and Stegner Fellow at Stanford Univ,
        she received her Masters of Fine Art from the Univ
        of Arizona. She was a Finalist in Tango Salon, Buenos
        Aires City-Wide Tango Championship, El Metropolitano,
        Milongueros del Mundo, 2011; and a Finalist in Tango
        Salon, CITA, Campeonato Intercontinal de Tango Salon,
        Buenos Aires, 2010.

        http://www.monglan.com/tango
        email:  lan at monglan.com

        ----------------

        Tango Tastings with Susana Collins

        Dance Lessons with a Sip of Fun in the Heart of Montrose

        Every Wednesday - 8:30pm-9:30pm

        Bacchus Wine & Coffee
        2502 Dunlavy St.
        Houston, TX  77006
        at Missouri St., one block north of Westheimer

        April Special [maybe this is into May?]:

        $10 includes 1 hour Lesson PLUS a Glass of wine or beverage of choice
        from select menu

        Footwear:  Shoes with leather or smooth soles that can
        slide, strapped or secured to feet.

        832-646-3149
        dance at unatangoprod.com
        http://www.facebook.com/tangoinHouston.com

        ----------------

        La milonga del diez at Midpoint Bar in Katy on Tuesdays

        “LA MILONGA DEL DIEZ (10)”
        NEW TANGO NIGHT

        Class 7pm – 8pm,   $10 single – $15 couple

        Teachers: Isadora Mangino and Harol Carrillo

        Since February 11th 2014
        SPREAD THE VOICE!!

        Midpoint Bar + Eatery
        20920 Katy Freeway
        Katy, Texas
        (Westgreen blvd. Exit / North Side)
        http://www.midpointbar.com

        Milonga (social dance):  8 -10pm (no cover)

        Free parking

        Organizer: Harol Ca

        on the web: http://katytango10.weebly.com/

        on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/120434304775455/

        absolute beginners, no partner needed

        ----------------

        Elizabeth Wingfield teachs Beginner and Technique
        at the University of St. Thomas, 7:00pm-8:30pm

        Every Tuesday, September 2 - November 25

        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room, 4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston,
        TX 77006 Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($2)
        or on Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St
        between West Alabama and Richmond Map

        Cost: $15/person

        This class is designed for the beginner and
        pre-intermediate level. No previous experience is required.
        The Technique portion of the class will focus on followers
        technique but is open to all.  We begin each class with
        a warm-up, walking, and technique exercises to prepare
        the mind and body to dance tango. These exercises lay
        the foundation for good tango technique.  They improve
        balance, posture, flexibility, and body movement. We
        then continue the lesson with a general topic. These
        include navigation for the milonga, communication
        with our partners, simple musicality. We use the basic
        combinations -- basic salida (salida basico), the box step
        (baldosa), walking (caminada), ochos, and simple turns
        (cambio de frente and giros). The combinations are not
        taught  as steps to be copied. Instead, we teach how to
        dance organically, from the lead all the way through the
        resolution. During every class we also talk about how to
        approach social tango dancing. We talk about the milongas,
        the etiquette, how to invite a partner to dance, and the
        tricks for smooth navigation. This class progresses during
        the semester. However, drop-ins are always welcome.

        ----------------

        Focusing on the social tango that is danced in the clubs
        of Buenos Aires.  Classes will include a comprehensive
        overview from building a strong base to integrating
        exciting steps, patterns and footwork.

        Level II Argentine Tango - Tuesdays 8 pm
        You're bitten by the Tango bug...!! Refine and Spice
        up your tango dance...  We will be building on your
        Tango Fundamentals and adding more exciting step
        patterns. Focusing on improvisation, musicality and
        advanced lead and follow techniques.

        susanactango at yahoo.com
        http://www.susanatango.com

        ----------------

        Tango at Noon

        New early PM class for people with flexible time schedule

        Everyone is welcomed to help out and learn in an all level
        tango class, at the Cheryhurst community center. 12 noon,
        1700 Missouri St, every Tuesday. Practice 1.30-3.00pm
        afterwards. Take a tango lunch break away with tango.

        Now you don't have to be in Buenos Aires in order to
        dance Argentine Tango during the day ;)

        An evening practica

        Practica El Caminito, 9-11pm at Tango Cielo. $5, Presented
        by a group of tango dancers who believe that precise
        practice makes it perfect!

        --
        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        http://instantango.com/

Wednesday

        The Edge Milonga
        brought to you by Irina Dralyuk

        Wednesdays 9:30pm-12:30am
        Bacchus Cafe & Wine Bar
        2502 Dunlavy, Houston TX 77006
        [Corner of Dunlavy & Missouri, 1 block North of Westheimer]
        http://www.bacchushouston.com

        Beginner class at 8:30-9:30pm, $10/person, no partner
        needed

        Bacchus offers a variety of wines from around the world,
        with wine specials on Tango night!

        No cover at the door. Complete sobriety highly discouraged
        however, so please feel free to take advantage of our
        wine special and imbibe!

        Dress Code: Ladies, let's push the line a little and hike
        up that skirt. Gents, bring out those fancy pants

        ... if you're not at the Edge, you're not living ...

        ----------------

        Intermediate/Advanced Technique and Salon cominationsx
        class with Mauro Marcone, 8pm-9:00pm

        Every Wednesday, August 27 - November 26

        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room, 4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston,
        TX 77006 Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($2)
        or on Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St
        between West Alabama and Richmond Map

        Cost: $15/person

        This class is designed for the intermediate level. Students
        should be familiar with the basics of walking, posture,
        navigation, and technique. Knowledge of ochos, turns,
        and weight changes are important at this level. Each class
        begins with a warm-up, walking, and technique exercises to
        prepare the mind and body to dance tango. These exercises
        are important. As intermediates, we spend more time
        focusing on body mechanics and kinesiology in order to
        dance organically. We ask the body and mind to do more and
        the response can be very exciting and creative! We then
        continue the lesson with a general topic. These include
        navigation for the milonga, different walking systems
        with our partners, intermediate musicality (milonga and
        vals). We use intermediate combinations- syncopated salida
        (salida cruzada), cross and parallel walking, traspie,
        turns with adornments, displacements (sacadas), and many
        more. As always, the combinations are not taught as steps
        to be copied. Instead, we teach how to dance organically,
        from the lead all the way through the resolution. We
        ask the students to think creatively, find solutions to
        "mistake" (there are no absolute mistakes in tango,
        only happy accidents), and to develop a style that is
        unique. During every class we talk in depth about the
        hows and whys of tango- the physiological, mechanical,
        and psychological factors. This class progresses during
        the semester.  However, drop-ins are always welcome.

Thursday

        New Weekly Milonga “Tango DiVino”

        Join us for the Grand Opening of Tango DiVino on Thursday
        Nights at Giulietta Sociale.

        No Cover, Free Parking
        Free Tango Lessons 8:30 to 9:30
        DJ Luis Zuleta Benavides

        Reverse Happy Hour 9-11 p.m.
        1/2 off select bottles of wine
        1/2 off select food items

        Giulietta Sociale
        5110 Washington, near Shepherd

        ----------------

        Ready, set, tango!

        We are ready to begin a whole new cycle of classes this
        Thursday, September 18.  Anybody who had been waiting
        for the perfect time to join?

        It is NOW.

        Nothing beats starting out with a group that is at
        your level.  If you are interested in joining classes,
        please make your best effort to join now to be on the
        same page as your classmates.

        We have a new, exciting curriculum for our advanced class
        also!  We will be exploring milonga, with a million new
        steps and a million new ways to explore the subleties of
        this playful and fun music.

        We will have a new format going forward. 30 minute practica
        after every class.  So come to class rested!

        8:00PM Introduction to Tango: Join in the journey to the
        center of your own axis!  We have a whole new group,
        supremely talented and from all around the world. I
        counted 6 countries last week.  So join us to learn how
        to say hello in 6 new languages, and how to embrace in
        one universal language that encompasses all!

        9:00PM Advanced Concepts: This session, we are exploring
        the magic of milonga.  Playing with the weight shift in
        a close embrace and a tight space to the most glorious
        pieces from the golden age of tango!

        Visit our website to check out the blog, student
        testimonials, and to register for classes.

        http://friendsoftango.wix.com/friendsoftango

        Fuad&Ozlem
        (225) 235 5705

Friday

        Angel's Milonga

        Please grace us with your angelic smiles, white evening
        wear and celestial moves at the opening of Tango Cielo,
        Houston's new home for Friday Milongas.

        Fine French wine generously donated by Cafe Rabelais

        Fridays,  9pm-12pm
        3710 Main st (@ Alabama)
        (Between Tacos A Go Go and Big Top)
        $10 at the door upstairs, students pay $5
        Free street parking or $5 parking lot.

        Tango Chose Me, 8pm- 9.00pm

        All level tango introduction class, tailored to people
        with no to little tango experience.

        A different tango Maestro each Friday will introduce You to
        the basics of Argentine Tango such as tango walk, posture,
        the line of dance and etiquette.  No partner required. At
        Tango Cielo, 3710 Main st, Upstairs. Price: $15 at the
        door, includes Milonga Del Angel from 9.00pm-midnight,
        a social tango dance night.

        We are also looking for kind hearted people to join
        the volunteer "Charlie's Angels" team for a Milonga Del
        Angel, a social tango dance night on Fridays.  If you are
        interested in seeing what does "milonga" mean, this would
        be a great way to meet people, learn a little more about
        Houston's tango scene, music and dance itself. Please
        email indrerapal at gmail.com to find out more.

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        instantango.com

        ----------------

        Midway to Tango - an intermediate level class

        Four week cycle every first Friday of the month

        Cycle consists of four 60 min classes with 15 minute
        practice at the end 8:00pm-9:15pm at Tango Cielo, 3710
        Main St

        No partner necessary.

        This class is designed for dancers with complete knowledge
        of tango fundamentals (read Begin Tango). In Midway to
        Tango sessions you will learn changes of direction in
        linear and circular movements. You will be introduced
        to more advanced patterns and steps such as sandwich,
        parada, sacada and more. Emphasis in Midway Tango is
        placed on developing a skill to combine basic steps and
        translate it to a new musically flowing sequences. Steps
        and patterns are done in both milonguero and salon style
        embrace to emphasize the flexibility in the connection.

        More info at http://www.instantango.com/classes.html

Saturday

        Saturday Night Milonga - El Fueye

        "El Fueye" (fwe-sh-e) is the term bandoneon players use
        to lovingly refer to their instrument.  In the hands of a
        master, the fueye breathes life into the music and leads
        the dancers around the pista.

        Saturdays
        9pm - free tango lesson
        10pm to 2am - milonga

        Costa's Elixir Lounge
        2239 Richmond Avenue
        Houston, TX  77098
        http://costahouston.com

        DJ: Elizabeth
        Dancing Cover: $5
        Free Parking: Lot, Valet, Street

        Host/Organizers: Argentine Tango Club

        http://www.argentinetangoclub.org
        https://www.facebook.com/argentinetangoclub

        ----------------

        Milonga Brasileña is the first Saturday of every month.

        Emporio Brazilian Cafe
        12288 Westheimer, #210A
        Houston, TX 77077

        9pm to 12am
        Cost: $10/person (free if you order dinner or drinks)

        Hosted by:
        Rick & Teresa
        http://milongabrasilena.net

Sunday

        Sunday Lesson with Sue & Alex
        3:30 - 4:15 PM, $5
        All-Level, Tango, Vals and Milonga
        Every Sunday, a walking element for beginners and an
        advanced movement for intermediate and advanced dancers.

        Start anytime. Drop-ins welcome. No partner required.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/lessons.html

        Sunday Práctica - La Práctica Dominguera
        4:30 - 7:00 pm, $5
        Every Sunday, dance, practice, share or just hang-out.
        A different DJ every Sunday.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/practica.html

        The lesson and práctica are at:

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Drive, Suite 220
        Houston, TX 77098

        The studio is located on the second floor above MW Cleaners
        at the corner of Shepherd and Colquitt. You just enter the
        building from Colquitt and go to the second floor. There is
        free parking in front of the building and in the parking
        garage on the 1st and 2nd levels.

        http://www.cosasdeltango.com
        amamontoff at yahoo.com
        (713) 724-7281