[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (3/28/16)

A. Lester Buck III tangolist at houtango.com
Sat Apr 2 19:39:53 UTC 2016

        A new tango absolute beginner cycle with Indre starts
        Friday, April 1st 7pm.

        Followed by an advanced beginner class 8.15pm.

        Followed by the milonga at 9.30pm.

        If you are staying in Houston Friday night - come to
        tango at Cielito Lindo!

        1900 Kane st (MECA), Houston tx, 77007

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸

        ----------------

        We hope you can attend the Saturday milonga at Emporio
        on April 2, at 9 PM until 12 AM.  Our DJ will be Arturo
        Rappi.  Arturo's play mix is that of someone who grew
        up in Argentina listening to tango.  I always enjoy his
        milongas. Please make a table reservation if you plan
        to arrive after 9 PM.  We can never predict attendance.
        Emporio's phone number is 281-293-7442.  I continue to
        reserve a long table for 12-14 people.  Teresa and I
        enjoy a leisurely dinner at 7 PM.  I do a playlist of
        Brazilian music that includes Samba, Forro, Pagode, Axe,
        Samba de Gafiera and Jazz (Brazilian).  Join us for dinner
        and Brazilian music until the milonga at 9 PM.

        Tony is continuing to offer the best wines he can buy.
        He always buys for the taste of his diners with an eye on
        holding down the price.  The wine list is robust but easy
        to read.  I don't want a 4- or 5-page wine list.  This last
        week, Tony invited me and other diners to sample 2 new
        potential "list"reds that he was considering.  One was
        great and one was a lot like Old English furniture polish.
        Perhaps the better of the two will make the Emporio
        wine list.  Aside from wine, Tony is re-introducing
        calamari to the appetizer menu.  Teresa is a low-salt
        fanatic so she always reinforces her dinner order with
        "Please, No Added Salt".  I have noticed less salt on
        the various meals that I have recently ordered.

        Rick Williams

        ----------------

        Milonga Mil Alturas – Saturday, April 9, 9p-1a

        Please join us for another glorious edition of Milonga
        Mil Alturas! A lovely, large floor awaits your dancing
        feet! Free/lighted parking, additional street parking
        nearby. Doorway entrance is located in the center of the
        shopping center under the “DFTH” awning. Dance the
        night away with DJ Luis!

        Hostesses: Denise Batschauer and Bonnie Singh

        3221 Houston Avenue, $12 admission, BYOB, bites provided

        ----------------

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information (plain
        text preferred), or corrections to anything in these
        messages, to <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Tango in Houston just got sweeter

        Fire up your Mondays learning the alluring Argentine Tango

        Group Dance Lessons
        7:00 - 8:00pm
        Martin Fierro Room, upstairs at Tierra del Fuego Restaurant
        - Sugar Land Led by Argentine master teacher and performer
        Susana

        Practica
        8:00 - 9:00pm
        Stay, mingle and practice your new dance moves while
        enjoying food and drink specials.

        Live tango music every weekend with the Bandoneon of
        Pablo Di Lauro and dance performances by Susana and Marcos.

        Class Info: 832-646-3149

        Come take a little bite of Argentina in the Heart of
        Sugar Land

        ----------------

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano at his Glover Gill Milonga.

        8:15 - 9:30 pm - Live Solo Tango on Piano by Glover Gill
        9:30 - 11:00 pm - Live DJ

        3700 Main at The Continental Club
        TIP JAR on the Piano

        Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

        ----------------

        Begin Tango cycle

        Four week cycle starts every first Monday of the month.

        Cycle consists of four 75min classes 7.00-8.15pm. At the
        Continental Club 3700 Main @ Alabama

        $50 whole cycle, $15 single class. No partner necessary.

        In four weeks you will be introduced to the fundamentals
        of Argentine Tango. To mention few - tango walk, salida
        basica, front ad back ochos, ocho cortado and gyro. You
        will learn to use these steps comfortably within the line
        of dance staying connected with your partner and music.
        Perfect for those who are complete beginners, polishing
        their tango basics or wants to be challenged as a dancer
        with a new form of movement - Argentine Tango. All
        the steps are executed in milonguero- heart to heart
        embrace. After completing this cycle you are encouraged
        to repeat the cycle or move one step forward to 'Midway
        to Tango'

        ----------------

        Focusing on the social tango that is danced in the clubs
        of Buenos Aires.  Classes will include a comprehensive
        overview from building a strong base to integrating
        exciting steps, patterns and footwork.

        Level I Argentine Tango - Mondays 8 pm
        Your chance to dip into Tango Fundamentals and get into
        the dance you always wanted try...!!  Beginning with
        'The Tango Walk - Walking to the Compás (beat) with
        true Tango Elegance, together with a partner. It will
        focus on Embrace, Musicality and clear lead and follow
        techniques. Moving onto skills to help you maneuver the
        dance floor.

        NO PARTNER NECESSARY
        What to wear:  Comfortable clothes to move in, Footwear
        that stays on your feet and allows you to glide or slide
        easily on the floor such as leather sole or dance shoes
        (Non-rubber sole)

        Location:
        Houston Dance Factory - 5711 Hillcroft Ave., Suite D-3
        (Harwin side - Second Floor - Room C)

        Cost:  $50 per month or $15 drop in
        Payment:  Cash or Check

        PLEASE PRE-REGISTER VIA EMAIL to have an idea of head count and
        try to keep class as gender balanced as possible.

        Call or contact for any questions.

        Susana
        832.646.3149
        susanactango at yahoo.com
        http://www.susanatango.com

Tuesday

        New tango classes with Elizabeth Wingfield starting
        September 1

        Elizabeth Wingfield teaches Argentine Tango for Beginners
        University of St. Thomas, Tuesdays, 7:00pm-8:00pm
        Session I: 7-weeks, September 1 – October 13
        Session II: 7-weeks, October 20 – December 1

        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room
        4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston, TX 77006

        Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($2) or
        on Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St
        between West Alabama and Richmond Map

        Cost: $85 per person per session

        Pre-registration is recommended for each session. Space is
        limited to 20 dancers (10 leaders, 10 followers) Drop-in
        are only permitted if there is space available and roles
        are balanced.

        This class is designed for the beginner and
        pre-intermediate level. No previous experience is required.

        Each class includes a warm-up, walking, and technique
        exercises to prepare the mind and body to dance
        tango. These exercises lay the foundation for good tango
        technique. They improve balance, posture, flexibility,
        and body movement. We then continue the lesson with
        general topic. These include navigation for the milonga,
        communication with our partners, simple musicality. We
        use the basic combinations — basic salida (salida
        basico), the box step (baldosa), walking (caminada),
        ochos, and simple turns (cambio de frente and giros). The
        combinations are not taught as steps to be copied. Instead,
        we teach how to dance organically, from the lead all the
        way through the resolution. During every class we also talk
        about how to approach social tango dancing. We talk about
        the milongas, the etiquette, how to invite a partner to
        dance, and the tricks for smooth navigation. This class
        progresses during the session.

        ----------------

        New tango classes with Susana Collins

        Intermediate Argentine Tango

        For dancers with basic experience in the fundamentals
        of tango and want to focus on various techniques to make
        their dance more fluid, connected and elegant while adding
        more intricate figures.

        8 Week Course
        Tuesdays 8:15 – 9:30
        September 1 – October 20
        Cost:  $140 per 8 week course
                   $120 per 8 week course with student ID
                   $20 for class drop in
        UST Campus – Jerabeck Bldg. 2^nd Floor / Dance Room
        4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston TX  77006

        ~ Susana
        832-646-3149
        http://www.lunatangoprod.com

        ----------------

        Tango dance classes with live bandoneón on Tuesdays at
        Tierra del Fuego Restaurant, Sugarland.

        Direct from Buenos Aires:

        Secrets of the Tango: Revealed
        Revolutionary Tango Classes by Mong-Lan

        Tuesdays, beginning Oct 21, with live Bandoneón Music!

        Tierra del Fuego TX Restaurante Argentino, Sugar Land,
        and at other locations in Houston.

        Take advantage of this unique opportunity never before
        offered in the U.S.  For more info, please visit:
        http://www.monglan.com/tango

        Mong-Lan has performed and taught tango in Argentina,
        the U.S., Italy, Japan, Thailand and Vietnam. She has
        performed tango in many public performances in Buenos
        Aires, to include in such mythic milongas as Salon
        Canning (Parakultural), La Confiteria Ideal, etc., and
        in such reputable tango houses as Esquina Homero Manzi.
        A Fulbright Fellow and Stegner Fellow at Stanford Univ,
        she received her Masters of Fine Art from the Univ
        of Arizona. She was a Finalist in Tango Salon, Buenos
        Aires City-Wide Tango Championship, El Metropolitano,
        Milongueros del Mundo, 2011; and a Finalist in Tango
        Salon, CITA, Campeonato Intercontinal de Tango Salon,
        Buenos Aires, 2010.

        http://www.monglan.com/tango
        email:  lan at monglan.com

        ----------------

        Tango Tastings with Susana Collins

        Dance Lessons with a Sip of Fun in the Heart of Montrose

        Every Wednesday - 8:30pm-9:30pm

        Bacchus Wine & Coffee
        2502 Dunlavy St.
        Houston, TX  77006
        at Missouri St., one block north of Westheimer

        April Special [maybe this is into May?]:

        $10 includes 1 hour Lesson PLUS a Glass of wine or beverage of choice
        from select menu

        Footwear:  Shoes with leather or smooth soles that can
        slide, strapped or secured to feet.

        832-646-3149
        dance at unatangoprod.com
        http://www.facebook.com/tangoinHouston.com

        ----------------

        Focusing on the social tango that is danced in the clubs
        of Buenos Aires.  Classes will include a comprehensive
        overview from building a strong base to integrating
        exciting steps, patterns and footwork.

        Level II Argentine Tango - Tuesdays 8 pm
        You're bitten by the Tango bug...!! Refine and Spice
        up your tango dance...  We will be building on your
        Tango Fundamentals and adding more exciting step
        patterns. Focusing on improvisation, musicality and
        advanced lead and follow techniques.

        susanactango at yahoo.com
        http://www.susanatango.com

Wednesday

        “Intermediate Tango with Elizabeth Wingfield and Noe Rosas”
        Wednesdays, 7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
        Dates: 7 weeks March 16, 23, 30, April 6, 13, 20, 27

        Location:
        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room, 4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston, TX
        77006 Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($5) or on
        Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St between West
        Alabama and Richmond Map

        Cost of a full series:
        Intermediate: $80 per person
        Drop-in rate: $15 per class

        Pre-registration is recommended for each session. Space is
        limited to 20 dancers (10 leaders, 10 followers) Drop-in
        are only permitted if there is space available and roles
        are balanced.

        ----------------

        The Edge Milonga
        brought to you by Irina Dralyuk

        Wednesdays 9:30pm-12:30am
        Bacchus Cafe & Wine Bar
        2502 Dunlavy, Houston TX 77006
        [Corner of Dunlavy & Missouri, 1 block North of Westheimer]
        http://www.bacchushouston.com

        Beginner class at 8:30-9:30pm, $10/person, no partner
        needed

        Bacchus offers a variety of wines from around the world,
        with wine specials on Tango night!

        No cover at the door. Complete sobriety highly discouraged
        however, so please feel free to take advantage of our
        wine special and imbibe!

        Dress Code: Ladies, let's push the line a little and hike
        up that skirt. Gents, bring out those fancy pants

        ... if you're not at the Edge, you're not living ...

Thursday

        “Beginner Tango with Elizabeth Wingfield”
        Thursdays, 8:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
        Dates: 6 weeks March 17, 31, April 7, 14, 21, 28
        *No Beginner Tango on March 24 for UST Spring Break

        Location:
        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room, 4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston, TX
        77006 Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($5) or on
        Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St between West
        Alabama and Richmond Map

        Cost of a full series:
        Beginner: $70 per person
        Drop-in rate: $15 per class

        Pre-registration is recommended for each session. Space is
        limited to 20 dancers (10 leaders, 10 followers) Drop-in
        are only permitted if there is space available and roles
        are balanced.

        ----------------

        Social Argentine Tango Classes

        Russian Cultural Center
        Instructors: Lola Vayner and Srini Vishnubhotla

        Class for intermediates: Thursdays, 7:00 p.m.- 8.00 p.m.
        Class for beginners: Thursdays, 8:00 p.m.- 9.00 p.m.

        Classes for EVERYBODY, for all levels.
        Foundations: balance, connection, posture, embrace, rhythmical patterns.
        The dialogue between our bodies is instinctive.
        Energy and fluidity versus strength and control.
        How to have fun and dance till 100 years old.
        No partner required

        The duration of class: 1 hour
        Single class – $10

        For more information please call 713.395.3301 or e-mail
        OurTexasInc at gmail.com

        Russian Cultural Center Our Texas
        2337 Bissonnet, Houston, TX 77005

        ----------------

        TANGO SUMMER CAMP with Mauro and Caren
        Starting July 9.
        Join us for a summer full of tango dancing and fun. Mauro
        and Caren will be teaching Tango Salon every Thursday.

        Beginners
        Thursday 7:00 PM to 8:00 pm
        Beginner’s class will be focusing on proper body posture,
        walking with cadence, stepping technique, the embrace
        and leading and following communication.

        Intermediate/Advance
        Thursday 8:15PM to 9:15PM.
        Intermediate/Advance will consist of salon combinations
        (giros,sacadas,etc), executed with proper musicality
        and within your dancing space. Proper body alignment
        and dissociation.

        COST: $15.00 per class
        Checks or cash are accepted (please bring change)

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 S. Shepherd Dr.
        Houston Tx 77098

        For more info contact Mauro 281-797-0805

        ----------------

        Weekly Milonga “Tango DiVino”

        Tango DiVino on Thursday Nights at Giulietta Sociale.

        No Cover, Free Parking
        Free Tango Lessons 8:30 to 9:30
        DJ Luis Zuleta Benavides

        Reverse Happy Hour 9-11 p.m.
        1/2 off select bottles of wine
        1/2 off select food items

        Giulietta Sociale
        5110 Washington, near Shepherd

        ----------------

        Ready, set, tango!

        We are ready to begin a whole new cycle of classes this
        Thursday, September 18.  Anybody who had been waiting
        for the perfect time to join?

        It is NOW.

        Nothing beats starting out with a group that is at
        your level.  If you are interested in joining classes,
        please make your best effort to join now to be on the
        same page as your classmates.

        We have a new, exciting curriculum for our advanced class
        also!  We will be exploring milonga, with a million new
        steps and a million new ways to explore the subleties of
        this playful and fun music.

        We will have a new format going forward. 30 minute practica
        after every class.  So come to class rested!

        8:00PM Introduction to Tango: Join in the journey to the
        center of your own axis!  We have a whole new group,
        supremely talented and from all around the world. I
        counted 6 countries last week.  So join us to learn how
        to say hello in 6 new languages, and how to embrace in
        one universal language that encompasses all!

        9:00PM Advanced Concepts: This session, we are exploring
        the magic of milonga.  Playing with the weight shift in
        a close embrace and a tight space to the most glorious
        pieces from the golden age of tango!

        Visit our website to check out the blog, student
        testimonials, and to register for classes.

        http://friendsoftango.wix.com/friendsoftango

        Fuad&Ozlem
        (225) 235 5705

Friday

        Welcome to H-Town twice a month Friday night milonga
        at Cielito Lindo, 1900 Kane St, aka MECA (Multicultural
        Education and Counseling through the Arts).

        Milonga starts about 9pm.

        Advanced level tango class with Indre starts at 8pm
        (class is $20 includes milonga).

        Milonga only - $10, BYOB

        Come early to get the best seat

        Make sure to park on the MECA side of the street.

        More details:
        http://houstonargentinetangoschool.com/local-events/

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸

        ----------------

        New Friday Night Practica and Class with Noe Rosas

        I am excited to be starting a new Practica (tango practice)
        and a four week series of entry level, Argentine tango
        classes with Noe Rosas. Stay after class and enjoy
        the space to freely practice your tango! Practice makes
        perfect! They will be held at Dance From The Heart Studio,
        off Houston Ave.

        Please join us for Tango instruction starting at 8pm
        9:00 -11pm (social dancing)

        Where: Dance From The Heart Studio (DFTH)
        3221 Houston, Ave, 77009
        http://www.dfth.org/

        BYOB, light snacks provided

        Hope to see you there!

        Noe Rosas
        2noerosas at gmail.com

        ----------------

        Midway to Tango - an intermediate level class

        Four week cycle every first Friday of the month

        Cycle consists of four 60 min classes with 15 minute
        practice at the end 8:00pm-9:15pm at Tango Cielo, 3710
        Main St

        No partner necessary.

        This class is designed for dancers with complete knowledge
        of tango fundamentals (read Begin Tango). In Midway to
        Tango sessions you will learn changes of direction in
        linear and circular movements. You will be introduced
        to more advanced patterns and steps such as sandwich,
        parada, sacada and more. Emphasis in Midway Tango is
        placed on developing a skill to combine basic steps and
        translate it to a new musically flowing sequences. Steps
        and patterns are done in both milonguero and salon style
        embrace to emphasize the flexibility in the connection.

        More info at http://www.instantango.com/classes.html

Saturday

        Saturday Night Milonga - El Fueye

        "El Fueye" (fwe-sh-e) is the term bandoneon players use
        to lovingly refer to their instrument.  In the hands of a
        master, the fueye breathes life into the music and leads
        the dancers around the pista.

        Saturdays
        9pm - free tango lesson
        10pm to 2am - milonga

        Costa's Elixir Lounge
        2239 Richmond Avenue
        Houston, TX  77098
        http://costashouston.com

        DJ: Elizabeth
        Dancing Cover: $5
        Free Parking: Lot, Valet, Street

        Host/Organizers: Argentine Tango Club

        http://www.argentinetangoclub.org
        https://www.facebook.com/argentinetangoclub

        ----------------

        Milonga Brasileña is the first Saturday of every month.

        Emporio Brazilian Cafe
        12288 Westheimer, #210A
        Houston, TX 77077

        9pm to 12am
        Cost: $10/person (free if you order dinner or drinks)

        Hosted by:
        Rick & Teresa
        http://milongabrasilena.net

Sunday

        [On hiatus for Summer, practica mainly, some guest instructors]
        Sunday Lesson with Sue & Alex
        3:30 - 4:15 PM, $5
        All-Level, Tango, Vals and Milonga
        Every Sunday, a walking element for beginners and an
        advanced movement for intermediate and advanced dancers.

        Start anytime. Drop-ins welcome. No partner required.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/lessons.html

        Sunday Práctica - La Práctica Dominguera
        4:30 - 7:00 pm, $5
        Every Sunday, dance, practice, share or just hang-out.
        A different DJ every Sunday.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/practica.html

        The lesson and práctica are at:

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Drive, Suite 220
        Houston, TX 77098

        The studio is located on the second floor above MW Cleaners
        at the corner of Shepherd and Colquitt. You just enter the
        building from Colquitt and go to the second floor. There is
        free parking in front of the building and in the parking
        garage on the 1st and 2nd levels.

        http://www.cosasdeltango.com
        amamontoff at yahoo.com
        (713) 724-7281