[HouTango-L] Our Last Tango - new film from Argentina

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Mon Apr 11 02:43:11 UTC 2016

There is a great new tango film coming to kick off the 11th Latin Wave
film festival at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston!

The festival starts with a happy hour at 6pm, Thursday, April 28, and
Our Last Tango plays that same night at 7pm.  You can buy your tickets
in advance via a link on the film page below.

https://www.mfah.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2016-03-31/Latin_Wave_PDF_for_Website.pdf

http://www.mfah.org/films/our-last-tango/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZzCsQ9dbTY

Our Last Tango

Un tango más

Tango’s most famous pairing, María Nieves Rego and Juan Carlos Copes,
revolutionized and revitalized the once-waning dance in a relationship
that spanned four decades both on and off the dance floor. German Kral’s
feature documentary Our Last Tango interviews (separately) each of the
dancers, and vignettes reconstruct their early years as they rose to
fame in their mission to bring tango to the international stage.

Now in their 80s and no longer on speaking terms, these two tango greats
discuss their humble pasts, their tense personal relationship, and all
that each gave up in the name of the dance. Rego instructs the actors
playing her and Copes’s younger selves on how to dance, demonstrating
how she and Copes would hold each other. Executive-produced by Wim
Wenders, this fascinating film celebrates recent tango history and
chronicles a legendary duo that embodied the drama, passion, rage, and
sexuality that is tango’s essence.

Cheers,
Lester