[HouTango-L] New Orleans Tango Show 2005

R. Alsina ralsina at houston.rr.com
Tue May 17 20:08:53 UTC 2005

Enclosed please find information about the annual Dinner, Dance and
Tango Show in New Orleans on June 4th. I have gone to a couple of
those shows in the past, and I can assure you that they are first
rate, the show, the dance and the dinner. Some tango dancers from
Houston have gone too and they have also enjoyed their visit as
much as I did. Of course, we also enjoyed a week-end of food,
booze and fun in New Orleans!  I would appreciate it if you post
the info on the NO show in your tango email list. Since I will go
again this year, by car, anyone who wants to go too can contact
me for further information or the possibility of riding together,
or going in caravan. My phone number is 713-205-9302.

Thank you,
Roberto Alsina.

Casa Argentina is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving
and sharing the Argentine culture through the promotion of
cultural and social events for the benefit of our members and
the New Orleans community at large.  Our fund-raising efforts
are geared toward humanitarian assistance. The proceeds from
this year's event, "Two to Tango", will benefit the Children's
Hospital of New Orleans.

Please help us advertise this program by publishing the following
information:

What: "Two to Tango", sponsored by Casa Argentina, Tango show by
internationally recognized dancers Miriam Larici & Hugo Patyn and
Diana Gryntysz & Diego Baldanza, outstanding Trio Tango of New
York, silent auction and floor dance, also with the Latin music of
"Julio & Cesar".

When:	Saturday, June 4, 2005
	7:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. Cash bar/dinner
	9:30 p.m.-11:00p.m. Tango Show
	From 11:00p.m. on: Open dance floor.

Where:	La Salle Ballroom, 3rd. floor
	Intercontinental Hotel
	444 St. Charles Avenue
	New Orleans, LA

Admission:	$75.00 dinner and show and dance.
		$25.00 show and dance only.

Call:	(504) 314-8475

Miriam Larici's first Hollywood movie was "Mambo Kings" but she
is probably more famous as the star and image of the Broadway and
London hit "Forever Tango."  Hugo Patyn performed in that Broadway
production, too, but returned to Argentina to mount his highly
successful original production "Tal Como Es...Tango" Finally,
Hugo and Miriam paired again for a "World Tango Tour" and the rest
is dance history. Highlights include their performances in "Mambo
Madness," "Laugh and Tango," choreography for the "Follies Berger"
at the Las Vegas Tropicana, performances at the Hollywood Bowl
with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra and the 2004 "Alma
de Tango" Japan Tango Tour with Ryota Komatsu Orchestra, Japan.

Diego Baldanza & Diana Gryntysz are argentine tango dancers
and teachers who performed in Argentina and Europe and won many
competitions.

In US are members of Tango Fever Dance Company. They taught in
different festivals such as Las Vegas Tango Weekend, USTC Miami
Tango Fantasy, New York City Workshops, among others.

Raul Jaurena studied bandoneon with his father at an early age. By
age 8, he was playing in a children's tango orchestra and by age
15, he was a member of the very popular Donato Raciatti Orchestra
in Montevideo. He has accompanied the world's most well-known
tango singers, among them Roberto Goyeneche, Edmundo Rivero, Raul
Lavie, Agustin Irusta, Libertad Lamarque, among others, and has
played with the legendary Uruguayan pianist, Cesar Zagnoli. He
performed with Astor Piazzolla at the Montreal Jazz Festival.

In 1997, Jaurena kept a busy performance schedule, directing
"Tango Mundo" in Berlin, Germany, playing with the American
Composer Orchestra at Carnegie Hall, with the Radio Symphony
Orchestra of Vienna, Austria, and directing "Tango & Tango" at
the Thalia Spanish Theater in New York. In 1998, he performed
the music of Astor Piazzolla with the Bronx Arts Ensemble and
played with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. Also, in 1998, he was
selected to write the arrangements for tango music performed by
Yo Yo Ma at a Boston concert. In 1999, he was a special guest
artist for the United States White House celebration of tango,
and performed with the Richmond, Virginia Symphony Orchestra,
and the Philharmonic Orchestra of Montevideo. In 2000, he made
appearances with the Philharmonic Orchestra of Sttutgart, Germany,
and the Butler Symphony Orchestra in Indianapolis. Since 2000, he
has toured with Giora Feidman's show, "From Klezmer to Piazzolla,"
performing 30 concerts throughout Germany.

Every year Jaurena participates in the Stanford Tango Workshop, a
popular event for tango enthusiasts the world over. In addition, he
has recorded with Paquito D'Rivera and Brazilian singer Ana Caram.

Marga Mitchell studied voice in Rome, Italy. She is an accomplished
singer of tango and Latin American song, with an active performance
schedule both in the United States and abroad. She has participated
in shows at "Midnight Summer Night" at Lincoln Center, "Tango
Fest" Broadway, the Ravinia Festival, and the International
Tango Festival in Montevideo, Uruguay. In 1999, she sang at the
United States White House with the Quintango tango ensemble at a
performance featuring tango enthusiast Robert Duval. In February
1999, she was invited to sing with the Vienna Radio Philharmonic
Orchestra. She also performed at the 1st International Festival
at the Teatro de San Martin in Buenos Aires, Argentina, as
well as with the Philharmonic Orchestra of Sttutgart, Germany,
the Tango Five Ensemble of Germany, and the Richmond (Virginia)
Symphony Orchestra.

Thanks for your attention to this request.

Sincerely,

P.W., Casa Argentina Board Member