[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (2/13/06)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Thu Feb 16 18:17:42 UTC 2006

        Always Tango cordially invites you to enjoy a night of
        "Art, Tango and Salsa", Saturday, February 18th, 2006,
        10pm-2am. Offering the best dance music on two separate
        dance floors: One dance floor will be playing your
        All-time favorite tangos and milongas, the other dance
        floor will play the best salsa, merengue.  Art Exhibition:
        Life drawing artist Jose Montes will be present to create
        artwork of the dancers while they are dancing.  Come and
        take salsa lessons before the Milonga!  Lessons offered
        by: United Salsa.  Add a little spice to your dancing,
        please come and learn salsa!  (Beginners) 8:30-9:00pm,
        (Advanced) 9:00-9:30pm. Raffle and door prizes held at
        11:00 pm. Price of one admission - $12.00. Dance the night
        away!  Melody Club 3027 Crossview Dr Houston, TX 77063.
        For information, call Alicia @ 281.704.9444 or 713.688.1282
        Visit us at www.alwaystango.com, <alwaystango at yahoo.com>
        --Juan Carlos and Alicia Suarez, Always Tango,
        http://houtango.com/maps/MelodyClubMap.html

        In a united effort Ilya Karash and the "Sunday Helios"
        group with special guest Robin Thomas from NY, invite all
        of you for the new milonga Tango Oblivion on Saturday,
        February 25.  We'll open the dance at 9pm with Ilya's
        tango music and wine tasting, later, around 10:30pm Robin
        will perform, after which he will DJ for the rest of the
        evening - 12am.  It is to be held at Sonia's World of Dance
        Studio - 5539 Richmond Ave (between Sage and Chimney Rock)
        Admission: $10/person at the door.

        Introducing Tango Oblivion, a brand new milonga presented
        by Sonia's World of Dance and Ilya Karash.  Sonia's World
        of Dance is a new dance studio eager to immerse itself into
        the Argentine Tango scene.Tango Oblivion will be held every
        last Saturday of the month at 9pm, with its grand opening
        on February 25th.Come enjoy the best music selection, huge
        dance floor, and great atmosphere at a central Galleria
        location. The studio website is www.soniasworldofdance.com.
        http://houtango.com/maps/SoniasWorldofDanceMap.html
        Tango Houston has organized a new Friday practica
        at Sonia's World of Dance, 5539 Richmond (inside
        Chimney Rock), 713-392-8086, starting Feb 3, 9-11pm.
        $5/person for Tango Houston members, $7/person
        for others.  http://www.soniasworldofdance.com/
        http://houtango.com/maps/SoniasWorldofDanceMap.html

        The milonga details for the Robin Thomas workshop next
        weekend have changed, and complete details for the
        workshop are here:
        http://houtango.com/pipermail/houtango-l_houtango.com/2006-February/000283.html

        Daniela writes: Come check out our alternative practica
        every third Sunday of the month at Helios, starting
        February 19, from 9-11PM.  Alternative music DJed by
        our enthusiastic dancers: Mikas, Angela and Damien.
        We'll open the evening 8-9PM with classical tango music.
        NOTE: We will cancel our practica on Feb 12 and I'll see
        you all at the Continental Club where Glovertango and
        Tosca String Quartet will play from 9PM to ...  Also,
        March 5th will be canceled since Derik will have the big
        milonga in celebration of Andres Amarilla workshop.

        Anna Munne writes: Dancing for Life has changed the
        schedule for milonga parties. Instead of the second
        Saturday of the month, all milongas have been moved to
        the 4th Saturday of the month. Our next milonga will be
        on February 25th. Admission $10. Feel free to bring your
        own bottle or munchies. We're looking forward seeing
        you there.  Dancing for Life, 2726 Fondren, Next to
        Luby's, 832-368-3022, www.dancingforlifehouston.net,
        <info at dancingforlifehouston.net>
        http://houtango.com/maps/DancingforLifeMap.html

        The Clear Lake Tango Club is on this weekend for a Sunday
        tea time milonga at Cyrus Persian Grill in the Clear
        Lake area.

        Roger Soto writes: I wanted to announce that I have
        started teaching Argentine tango classes, every Thursday,
        beginning February 9th from 8 to 9pm at the Spanish
        Institute of Dance. It will be a beginner's class and
        will run for four weeks. No partners necessary. The
        classes will focus on social dancing skills and the
        basics of close embrace tango. For more information on
        registration, cost, and location, please visit the
        website http://spanishinstituteofdance.com/
        Thank you! --Roger Soto
        http://houtango.com/maps/SpanishInstituteofDanceMap.html

        Derik is hosting a workshop with Andres
        Amarilla and Meredith Klein from Buenos
        Aires over March 2-8.  Full details at:
        http://houtango.com/pipermail/houtango-l_houtango.com/2006-February/000277.html

        Victor's classes are suspended for the month of February
        while he is on vacation in Argentina.  Classes will resume
        March 8.

        Martin & Natia will be in Argentina from Feb 10 to Mar 3,
        so their classes are suspended during this period.

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away from
        your computer?  You can always refer to past tango email
        at http://houtango.com/mailman/listinfo/houtango-l_houtango.com,
        and click the Archives link near the top.  Subscribe there,
        too.

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, now back home at the Continental Club,
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

Tuesday

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues
        their class cycle, now with three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop instructs at their new location: The Dance
        Place, 3300 Chimney Rock @ Beverly Hill, Suite 500.
        This new space offers room to grow with new students.
        Beginner 7-8pm, Intermediate 8-9pm, Advanced 9-10pm.
        http://www.houstontango.org/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Wednesday

        Salento Coffee sponsors a weekly tango event.  The dancing
        runs from 8:30pm to 11:30pm, if there is demand.  Salento
        Coffee is located at 2407 Rice Blvd in the Rice Village
        area: Salento moves all the tables to the walls and open
        up a nice floor of smooth tile.  They even offer a special
        "Tango Sandwich."

        http://houtango.com/maps/SalentoCoffeeMap.html

        ----------------

        The new Clear Lake Tango Club meets at 7:30pm at Dance
        Moves studio, 611 Kirby Blvd, in Seabrook's Taylor Lake
        Village. Instructors Eric Lanoix and Robert Barnes. Cost
        is ~5$, to cover the floor fee.  Info: Eric Lanoix,
        <eric at tangotango.us>

        http://houtango.com/maps/DanceMovesMap.html

        ----------------

        [Victor's classes resume March 8, after his return from BsAs.]
        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        Roger Soto teaches Argentine tango classes, every
        Thursday, beginning February 9th from 8 to 9pm at the
        Spanish Institute of Dance. It is a beginner's class
        and will run for four weeks. No partners necessary. The
        classes will focus on social dancing skills and the
        basics of close embrace tango. For more information
        on registration, cost, and location, please visit the
        website http://spanishinstituteofdance.com/  Thank
        you! --Roger Soto
        http://houtango.com/maps/SpanishInstituteofDanceMap.html

        ----------------

        [Victor's classes resume March 8, after his return from BsAs.]
        Victor Collins teaches beginner 7-8pm, practica from
        8-8:30pm, intermediate/advanced from 8:30-9:30pm, with
        practica until 10pm. $10/class, or $70 for a package
        of eight. Victor Collins teaches at his newly expanded
        home studio at 3013 Roseheath, near Aldine-Westfield &
        Richey Road in far north Houston.  Info: 281-443-3322.

        http://houtango.com/maps/VictorCollinsHomeStudioMap.html

Friday

        Tango Houston has organized a new Friday practica
        at Sonia's World of Dance, 5539 Richmond (inside
        Chimney Rock), 713-392-8086, starting Feb 3, 9-11pm.
        $5/person for Tango Houston members, $7/person for others.
        http://www.soniasworldofdance.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/SoniasWorldofDanceMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins continues his milongas at Arepas &
        Empanadas Gourmet, Inc., 12792 Veterans Memorial on
        the north side of town. Already a hot dining and dance
        spot on the weekends, now again adding tango night every
        Friday.  Great Colombian food and drink especials. FREE
        practica from 8:30-9:30pm, FREE Tango introductory
        class and Chacarera 9:30 to 10:30pm. with milonga to
        follow inmediately.  Come and dance your tango, salsa,
        and romantic favorites in a friendly family atmosphere.
        More info: call Victor at 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/ArepasEmpanadasMap.html

        ----------------

        [Suspended while in Argentina, back March 3]
        Martin & Natia Palaez teach group classes at Barbara
        King's Houston Center of Dance, (new location)
        5200 Bissonnet at Bellaire.  Beginning 7-8pm, $12
        single lesson or $40 for the four week session.
        Intermediate/Advanced 8-9pm, $10/class. Partners
        not required. http://www.tango-houston.com/,
        <tangoss at hotmail.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/KingsDanceCenterMap.html

        ----------------

        Siempre Tango (Always Tango), with Juan Carlos and
        Alicia Suarez, continues an eight week class cycle:
        Beginners 7:30-8:30pm, Advanced 8:30-9:30pm, followed by
        practica. $80 for a package of eight one-hour lessons. City
        Dance Studio, 2423 Dunstan.  Info: Alicia at 713-688-1282,
        <2tango at pdq.net>, http://www.alwaystango.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

Saturday

[...]

Sunday

        Daniela writes: Come check out our alternative practica
        every third Sunday of the month at Helios, starting
        February 19, from 9-11PM.  Alternative music DJed by
        our enthusiastic dancers: Mikas, Angela and Damien.
        We'll open the evening 8-9PM with classical tango music.
        NOTE: We will cancel our practica on Feb 12 and I'll see
        you all at the Continental Club where Glovertango and
        Tosca String Quartet will play from 9PM to ...  Also,
        March 5th will be canceled since Derik will have the big
        milonga in celebration of Andres Amarilla workshop.

        http://houtango.com/maps/HeliosMap.html

        ----------------

        [On this week]
        The Clear Lake Tango Club will host a bi-weekly Persian
        tea-time milonga every other Sunday from 4-6pm at the
        Cyrus Persian Grill.  The Cyrus Persian Grill is located
        at 911, NASA Parkway, Houston TX (in the Clear Lake
        area). Tel.:281-280-8200. To get there from town, take
        I-45 South, exit at Exit 25, and go left (East) Until you
        reach the restaurant.  The restaurant offers an excellent
        selection of Persian dishes (Eric recommends the food.)
        Admission is free, but guest are encouraged to have a
        meal. DJ'ing will be provided by Eric Lanoix.  See you
        there! Contact info: Robert Barnes <BTayBar at yahoo.com>
        [Technical detail: Apparently E NASA Road 1 has been
        renamed NASA Parkway.  Google Maps have yet to get the
        memo.  Yahoo! Maps has.  Both map services show their
        data is derived from NAVTEQ, so go figure.  The link below
        says 911 E NASA Road 1, which is the same as NASA Parkway.]

        http://houtango.com/maps/CyrusPersianGrillMap.html

Let's tango this week.