[HouTango-L] switching servers for HouTango-L mailing list, etc.

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Sun Jul 16 21:27:31 UTC 2006

Over the years, I mixed some mailing lists into one of my business
domains, compact.com, and lately it became clear I needed to separate
the mailing lists so compact.com could be expanded and moved.

Thus, the Houston tango email list, HouTango-L, has moved to a new
server and a new address.  This is the last tango email you will be
receiving from HouTango-L mailing list at the old address.  The next
message will be a welcome from the new list address.

The new address for the mailing list is

    HouTango-L at houtango.com

I built a bare bones page with links for mailing list subscription,
archives, and maps to current tango venues:

    http://houtango.com/   (or http://www.houtango.com/)

You most likely won't notice any change in the list operation.  If necessary,
you may need to train your spam filter to allow email from houtango.com.

and documents on compact.com, and I'll get around to changing those old
links at some point.  All new posts will be referencing the new domain.

One of the unfortunate technical details about the new web site is that
the domain name is appended to the mailing list name in an ugly way:

Subscription page:

Archives:
http://houtango.com/pipermail/houtango-l_houtango.com/

But if you start at the home page, http://houtango.com/, you can click
through and not bother with the long URL.

Here is standarb blurb I send out about how to subscribe, updated for
the new web site:

How to Subscribe to the Houston Tango Email List

The Houston tango email list (HouTango-L at houtango.com) is now
automated so everyone can subscribe themselves on the following
web page:

http://houtango.com/

There is a link on this home page to the actual signup page,
which is:

The subscription form takes an email address and an optional
place for your name. Your name is useful if your email address
starts bouncing sometime in the future, as I might be able
to contact you via another method for a new email address.
After you submit your information, the list management software
will send you a confirmation email.  Only after you respond to
the confirmation message will you be subscribed to the list.

I never subscribe anyone directly anymore, to avoid issues
with spam and similar unwelcome emails.  Feel free to start the
subscription process for your friends, but they will still have
to respond to the confirmation message themselves, from their
own email address.

Archives of the Houston tango email list back to September 2003
are also available at the following web page:

http://houtango.com/pipermail/houtango-l_houtango.com/

This archive link is also near the top of the signup page listed
above, and linked from the home page for houtango.com.  Because
the archives are always on the web, you might not feel the need
to subscribe to the list, and just follow the messages on the
web site.  You can also check the tango schedule from any computer.

The signup page is also listed at the bottom of every piece of
tango email, viz: