[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (3/26/07)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Fri Mar 30 04:33:53 UTC 2007

        The Suarezes write: Greetings to all our friends who
        attended our last milonga at Melody Club and to all past
        and future milongueros y tangueras.  Our sincere thanks
        to you all for making the St. Patrick's Day Milonga an
        overwhelming success. We truly value your friendship,
        praises and compliments over the past 17 years which
        has given us prominent recognition in Houston's tango
        community.  Please save the date for next month's Milonga:
        Saturday, April 21, 2007 Your ALWAYS TANGO Friends,
        Alicia and Juan Carlos Suarez, www.alwaystango.com,
        www.alwaystangostore.com, 713-688-1282

        Martin & Natia have arranged a one day workshop with the
        nuevo tango master Andres Sarausa on Saturday, April 14.
        All the details:

http://houtango.com/pipermail/houtango-l_houtango.com/2007-March/000417.html

        Martin & Natia invite you all to their Milonga every
        Saturday at the Cafe Tango-Studio, centrally Located at
        3217 Mercer at Alabama, one block west of Buffalo Speedway.
        Please join us for wonderful dancing, great music, and
        a fabulous social gathering.  Valet Parking available:
        Basel from the next door club is willing to help the
        tango community to park for tips only. 9pm-midnight,
        $10.00/person. BYOB
        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        Mauro's Pizza & Tango Bar has started a regular Sunday
        milonga at their location near Westheimer & Gessner:
        Mauro Gonzalez writes: I would like to invite everybody
        to our Sunday milonga, from 7:00 to 10:00 pm. No cover,
        BYOB (3.00 cork fee). Lunch specials will be served all
        evening. Mauro's Pizza & Tango Bar is located at 9830
        Meadowglen Lane, Houston TX, 77402, just a few blocks
        from Westheimer and Gessner.  More info, call Mauro:
        832-693-3674
        http://houtango.com/maps/MaurosPizzaMap.html

        The big news for April is that Martin & Natia are
        hosting Pampa and Valeria Cortes for the entire month!
        "This Dynamic Duo will be teaching group classes at our
        studio, private lessons, special workshops, attending
        our Milongas and even surprising us with a night of
        a Tango & Folk Show with special guests.  We are very
        excited to have this opportunity for the Houston Tango
        Community."  http://www.tangocortes.com/ Full details at:

http://houtango.com/pipermail/houtango-l_houtango.com/2007-March/000414.html

        Helios Tango Club starts a new session, Apr 4-May 2.
        Every session of this class is new material and it can
        be taken many times. The next cycle of classes will
        focus on building on the tango fundamentals: improving
        the quality of each step and the connection between the
        partners. We explore the structure and technique of tango
        and keep memorizing patterns to a minimum. Intermediate
        Classes, Location: City Dance Studio 5416 Chaucer
        Dr, 713-529-6100, Wednesdays 8-9pm, $25/person for
        five classes.  $10/class dropin.  Apr 4 - The Walk and
        Connection - It's a staring contest; Apr 11 - Dissecting
        the Ocho Cortado and create your own variations; Apr 18 -
        The secrets of a Molinete; Apr 25 - Dancing Vals musically;
        May 2 - Drama, how to spice up your dance.  Requirement:
        Students must be familiar with walking to the cross,
        ochos, ocho cortados, and molinetes. Depending on the
        balance of leaders and followers, the size of the class
        is limited. Please let me know ahead of time if you are
        interested: chenmercy at gmail.com

        Tango Houston has updated their web site with some new
        features, including a place to post your tango event
        announcements directly online and an "update" mailing list.
        Check it out at http://www.tangohouston.net/

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information to
        <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, now back home at the Continental Club,
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

Tuesday

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues their
        class cycle this week, now with three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop instructs at The Dance Place, 3300 Chimney Rock
        @ Beverly Hill, Suite 500.  This new space offers room
        to grow with new students.  Beginner 7-8pm, Intermediate
        8-9pm, Advanced 9-10pm.  http://www.houstontango.org/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Wednesday

        Jackie Arita, manager of Salento Cafe, sponsors a
        weekly tango event.  The dancing runs from 9 pm till
        midnight. Salento Cafe is located at 2407 Rice Blvd in
        the Rice Village area: Salento moves all the tables to the
        walls and open up a nice floor of smooth tile. Tango music
        dj'ed by Oscar.  Salento offers a great selection of wines,
        including Argentine Malbec as house wine. Empanadas and
        other Argentine treats also served. For a full menu and
        other details about this venue go to the cafe website
        http://www.salentocafe.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/SalentoCoffeeMap.html

        ----------------

        Mercy & Mika teach independent classes on Wednesdays at
        City Dance Studio:

        Mikas teaches two tango fundamentals classes on Wednesdays
        at the City Dance Studio in Rice village at 5416 Chaucer
        Dr. (behind Ruggles). Fundamentals I from 7pm to 8pm and
        Fundamentals II from 8pm to 9pm. Both classes are full
        for the 6-week cycle that starts on February 21, 2007,
        but if anyone is interested in attending the next cycle
        (to start in April), contact Mikas at kalimika at gmail.com.

        interested: chenmercy at gmail.com

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia teach a free introductory class from 8-9pm,
        with a limited set of steps, followed by a free practica
        from 9-10pm, at their new location, Tango Cafe.  3217
        Mercer at West Alabama, one block west of Buffalo Speedway.

        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        Martin & Natia Palaez teach group classes at Cafe
        Tango Studio, 3217 Mercer at West Alabama, one
        block west of Buffalo Speedway.  Beginning 8-9pm,
        $15 single lesson or $48 for the four week session.
        Partners not required. http://www.tango-houston.com/,
        <MartinNatiaTango at yahoo.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

Friday

        The latest milonga venue on Fridays: Téngo Tango.  Diana
        Gonzalo, Mercy and Oscar invite you to dance tango
        every Friday from 9pm till midnight at Té House of Tea,
        1927 Fairview St, near Westheimer and Dunlavy . No cover
        charge.  Empanadas, yerba mate and other refreshments for
        sale. BYOB ($3 corkage fee). Music by Oscar and guest DJ's.
        http://www.teaagora.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/TeHouseofTeaMap.html

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia Palaez teach group classes at Cafe
        Tango Studio, 3217 Mercer at West Alabama, one
        block west of Buffalo Speedway.  Intermediate 7-8pm,
        $15 single lesson or $48 for the four week session.
        Advanced 8-9pm, $10 single lesson (prepayment welcome)
        Partners not required. http://www.tango-houston.com/,
        <MartinNatiaTango at yahoo.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins' Friday night tango classes are at Life
        Time Fitness of Willowbrook.  Every Friday, 9pm-11pm,
        ages 12 and up.  Victor teaches Argentine Tango, Waltz,
        Milonga and Chacarera, 9pm-10pm, and hosting a practica
        from 10pm-11pm  at the Life Time Cafe.  Classes cover
        footwork, timing, techniques, and patterns.  You do NOT
        need a partner to take these classes. Singles and/or
        couples are welcome.  Don't wait, sign up now and step
        out in style and confidence.  Seven, 1 hour Lessons per
        enrollment session.  $84 for members, $105 for Non-Members
        $160 for two Members, $187 for two Non-Members.  Life Time
        Fitness, 7717 Willowchase Blvd.,  Willowbrook, TX. 77070
        http://www.lifetimefitness.com/ For further information,
        please contact Cheree Rose at 281-897-6219.

        http://houtango.com/maps/LifeTimeFitnessWillowbrookMap.html

        ----------------

        Siempre Tango (Always Tango), with Juan Carlos and
        Alicia Suarez, continues an eight week class cycle:
        Beginners 7:30-8:30pm, Advanced 8:30-9:30pm, followed
        by practica. $80 for a package of eight one-hour
        lessons, City Dance Studio, 5416 Chaucer Dr. Info:
        Alicia at 713-688-1282, <alwaystango at yahoo.com>,
        http://www.alwaystango.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

Saturday

        Martin and Natia invite you all to their Milonga every
        Saturday at the Cafe Tango-Studio, centrally Located at
        3217 Mercer at Alabama, one block west of Buffalo Speedway.
        Please join us for wonderful dancing, great music, and
        a fabulous social gathering.  Valet Parking available:
        Basel from the next door club is willing to help the
        tango community to park for tips only. 9pm-midnight,
        $10.00/person. BYOB

        http://houtango.com/maps/TangoCafeMap.html

        ----------------

        Siempre Tango (Always Tango), with Juan Carlos and
        Alicia Suarez, continues an eight week class cycle:
        Beginners 7:30-8:30pm, Advanced 8:30-9:30pm, followed
        by practica. $80 for a package of eight one-hour
        lessons, City Dance Studio, 5416 Chaucer Dr. Info:
        Alicia at 713-688-1282, <alwaystango at yahoo.com>,
        http://www.alwaystango.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

Sunday

        Mauro's Pizza & Tango Bar has started a regular Sunday
        milonga at their location near Westheimer & Gessner:
        Mauro Gonzalez writes: I would like to invite everybody
        to our Sunday milonga, from 7:00 to 10:00 pm. No cover,
        BYOB (3.00 cork fee). Lunch specials will be served all
        evening. Mauro's Pizza & Tango Bar is located at 9830
        Meadowglen Lane, Houston TX, 77402, just a few blocks
        from Westheimer and Gessner.  More info, call Mauro:
        832-693-3674

        http://houtango.com/maps/MaurosPizzaMap.html

        [The Helios Sunday milonga is on hiatus due to renovations
        at Helios.]

Let's tango this week.