[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (11/04/13)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Sat Nov 9 23:21:49 UTC 2013

        La Leona del Tango:
        Legendary dancer and maestra of Buenos Aires returns
        to Houston.

        *Master classes with GRACIELA GONZALEZ NOV 13-19th*

        Wednesday, Nov 13th
        7.30 -9.00pm - Adjusting the intensity of Your
        intention. All levels.

        Friday, Nov 15th
        7.30-9pm - Planeos, Enrosques, Agujas y Lápiz -
        Intermediate-advanced.

        Saturday, Nov 16th
        12.00- 3pm Woman's Technique, *Intensive for women.
        3.30-5pm- Adornos, Embelishments (Prerequisite - woman's technique )

        Sunday, Nov 17th
        12.00 -3pm -Steps of Pupi Castello , *Intensive for
        advanced intermediates
        3.30-5pm Dancing the Pauses. Intermediate- advanced music
        comprehention lesson.

        Tuesday, Nov 19th
        7.30 -9pm  - Pierna libre de la mujer -posibilidades de
        marca, Possibilities in marking the step - woman's free
        leg. Intermediate advanced.

        To register for the workshops, ask questions or schedule
        a private with Graciela call or email Indre:

        713.319.4330, indrerapal at gmail.com

        Pricing:

        Single 90min lesson -$30

        *Single Intensive (3hrs) - $50

        All 90 min lessons - $120,

        Weekend pass (Fri, Sat, Sun)- $150

        All lessons at Tango Cielo 3710 Main st, Houston 77002.

        ----------------

        Friends Of Tango:

        Thursday Group Classes Begin November 14th, 2013

        Dear All,

        We are excited to announce that we are bringing the
        Thursday classes back!

        When: Thursday, November 14th. 8:00PM - 10:00PM
        Where: River Oaks Pilates Studio
        (3425 S Shepherd Dr Ste 200 Houston, TX 77098)

        8:00PM - 9:00PM TANGO 101

        Great for newcomers and those who remain beginners at heart
        (this latter group is my favorite).

        One hour of pure technique. All the groundwork necessary
        for a tango dancer in-the-making.

        Drills for dancers' balance, posture, fluidity of movement
        and the seeds for presence.

        Invite your friends. Introductory classes are a great
        place to recruit more dancers, spread our obsession and
        grow our community.

        9:00PM - 10:00PM UP A NOTCH

        The intermediate class is for the slightly seasoned dancer,
        who is comfortable with the basics and is ready to venture
        into the realm of fun and challenging moves. We will put
        the technique we have learnt in the previous hour into good
        use by introducing different elements, such as sacadas,
        paradas, boleos and ganchos, a dash of volcadas&colgadas
        if we are feeling adventurous. The theme for the current
        session is ALL THINGS WALTZ.

        You can pay at the door or use PayPal by visiting our website at:http://
        p11.hostingprod.com/@friendsoftango.com/

        One Class $15 or Two Classes $25

        4-Class Package (8 or 9pm session) $50

        8-Class Package (8-10pm, both sessions) $75

        Class dates for 2013: November 14&21, December 5&19.

        Any questions, call us at 225 235 5705 or email us:
        friendsoftango at yahoo.com.

        Sincerely,

        Fuad&Ozlem

        http://www.friendsoftango.com
        (225) 235 5705

        ----------------

        Hey everybody,

        Mom has just returned from Buenos Aires with the latest
        most fabulous designs of Comme Il Faut shoes in sizes
        5-10. We had a blast picking them out. If you're in need of
        a CIF "fix",  or perhaps are looking fro something special
        (remember no more than 40 are made in any one design)
         for the upcoming holidays, please come to the house
        Sat and /or Sun. Nov. 16th and 17th between 11am and 4 pm.

        3755 Olympia Drive, Houston, Tx. 77019 (1 block north of
        San Felipe between Weslayan/ Willowick and Timber Lane. If
        you have any questions on how to get there, you can reach
        Ann directly at 832-289-5282. With questions regarding
        the shoes, you can reach Laura at Bsasbaby at gmail.com or
        Ann at Annbullock 47 at gmail.com

        Also, please feel free to forward this email on to anybody who might be
        interested.

        --
        Laura Pellegrino
        BsAsbaby at gmail.com
        Laura at buenosAiresTangoConcierge.com
        www.BuenosAiresTangoConcierge.com (for Tango help in Buenos Aires)
        www.Tangointexas.com (for Comme Il Faut shoes)
        www.laurapellegrino.com (for Laura's music)

        ----------------

        Fandango De Tango, Nov 21-25, 2012
        http://www.fandangodetango.com/

        Join us as we celebrate our 15th Annual Event!

        Our event will be held at the downtown Omni Dallas
        Hotel. Our event is chock-full of dancing, learning and
        entertaining. Our Master teaching staff is impressive,
        in their classes and in their performances. We are so
        proud of the caliber of the event we organize for you,
        and we are humbled by the warm welcome and sincere feedback
        from all of you. We offer over 100 hours of Tango Dancing
        Fun and over 37 hours of Social Tango Dancing!

        Held at  the brand new Omni Dallas Hotel in downtown Dallas, TX!

        Omni  Dallas Hotel - Fandango de Tango
        http://omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/DallasHotel/MeetingFacilities/FandangodeTango11.aspx

        Fandango De  Tango in Dallas, TX
        Nov 27-Dec 1, 2013
        http://www.fandangodetango.com

        You can call them  at 214-744-6664 or 1-888-444-OMNI
        (6664). Mention "Fandango" to get the special rate, if
        still available

        To get the Hotel rate online:
        http://www.omnihotels.com/findahotel/dallashotel/meetingfacilities/fandangodetango11.aspx

        http://www.fandangodetango.com

        Facebook (please like us):
        https://www.facebook.com/fandango.detango

        Facebook event page:
        https://www.facebook.com/events/150497038486825

        Register online:
        http://www.fandangodetango.com/registration.html

        Ricardo Moncada, Pres.
        Learn To Dance  Austin

        ----------------

        The Day of Tango festival coming to Austin, December 11

        Join The Academy of Tango - Texas in celebrating the third annual
        "Day of Tango" Festival in Austin with workshops, Milongas, and
        performances by renowned Tango dancers, musicians and area Tango
        students and instructors!

        The Day of Tango has been celebrated in Argentina every year on
        December 11 since 1965 in honor of the birth dates of the two men
        responsible for the creation and worldwide promotion of the Tango:
        Carlos Gardel and Julio De Caro. The "Day of Tango" in Austin
        has been proclaimed by both the Mayor of Austin, Lee Leffingwell,
        and the Texas Senate and it has also recognized by Texas Governor,
        Rick Perry, as a momentous event.

        This event will be a celebration of the Tango as it is an integral
        part of the Argentine/Latin culture.

        The Academy of Tango-Texas is a non-profit organization dedicated
        to the promotion of Argentine culture through the Tango and the
        promotion of  the cultural values of Argentina. The Academy of
        Tango-Texas is also a correspondent of the National Academy
        of Tango in Argentina (La Academia Nacional del Tango de la
        Republica Argentina).

        With the approval of La Academia Nacional del Tango de la Republica
        Argentina, The Academy of Tango-Texas is proud to continue this
        momentous celebration in Austin for the third year!

        This year, events will be held at the Ben Hur Shriner Auditorium
        and Esquina Tango in Austin, Texas and we have a fabulous line-up.

        We hope you'll join us!

        http://dayoftango.org
        dayoftango at gmail.com

        Juan Carlos & Alicia
        512.695.1024

        ----------------

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away
        from your computer?  You can always refer to past tango
        email at http://houtango.com/, and subscribe there, too.
        Please send any tango news and event information (plain
        text preferred), or corrections to anything in these
        messages, to <tangopost at compact.com> (only).  Thanks!

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano at his Glover Gill Milonga.

        8:15 - 9:30 pm - Live Solo Tango on Piano by Glover Gill
        9:30 - 11:00 pm - Live DJ

        3700 Main at The Continental Club
        TIP JAR on the Piano

        Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3700 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/ContinentalClubMap.html

        ----------------

        Begin Tango cycle

        Four week cycle starts every first Monday of the month.

        Cycle consists of four 75min classes 7.00-8.15pm. At the
        Continental Club 3700 Main @ Alabama

        $50 whole cycle, $15 single class. No partner necessary.

        In four weeks you will be introduced to the fundamentals
        of Argentine Tango. To mention few - tango walk, salida
        basica, front ad back ochos, ocho cortado and gyro. You
        will learn to use these steps comfortably within the line
        of dance staying connected with your partner and music.
        Perfect for those who are complete beginners, polishing
        their tango basics or wants to be challenged as a dancer
        with a new form of movement - Argentine Tango. All
        the steps are executed in milonguero- heart to heart
        embrace. After completing this cycle you are encouraged
        to repeat the cycle or move one step forward to 'Midway
        to Tango'

        ----------------

        Focusing on the social tango that is danced in the clubs
        of Buenos Aires.  Classes will include a comprehensive
        overview from building a strong base to integrating
        exciting steps, patterns and footwork.

        Level I Argentine Tango - Mondays 8 pm
        Your chance to dip into Tango Fundamentals and get into
        the dance you always wanted try...!!  Beginning with
        'The Tango Walk - Walking to the Compás (beat) with
        true Tango Elegance, together with a partner. It will
        focus on Embrace, Musicality and clear lead and follow
        techniques. Moving onto skills to help you maneuver the
        dance floor.

        NO PARTNER NECESSARY
        What to wear:  Comfortable clothes to move in, Footwear
        that stays on your feet and allows you to glide or slide
        easily on the floor such as leather sole or dance shoes
        (Non-rubber sole)

        Location:
        Houston Dance Factory - 5711 Hillcroft Ave., Suite D-3
        (Harwin side - Second Floor - Room C)

        Cost:  $50 per month or $15 drop in
        Payment:  Cash or Check

        PLEASE PRE-REGISTER VIA EMAIL to have an idea of head count and
        try to keep class as gender balanced as possible.

        Call or contact for any questions.

        Susana
        832.646.3149
        susanactango at yahoo.com
        http://www.susanatango.com

Tuesday

        Mauro & Elizabeth teach Beginners and Pre-Intermediate
        at the University of St. Thomas, 8:00pm-9:15pm

        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room, 4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston,
        TX 77006 Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($2)
        or on Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St
        between West Alabama and Richmond Map

        Fees: All Tuesday Group classes are free for UST students,
        faculty, staff, and Jerabeck members. The public is
        invited and welcome to attend the lessons. There is no
        set fee for the public and donations are appreciated.

        This class is designed for the beginner and
        pre-intermediate level. No previous experience is
        required. We begin each class with a warm-up, walking, and
        technique exercises to prepare the mind and body to dance
        tango. These exercises lay the foundation for good tango
        technique.  They improve balance, posture, flexibility,
        and body movement. We then continue the lesson with a
        general topic. These include navigation for the milonga,
        communication with our partners, simple musicality. We use
        the basic combinations -- basic salida (salida basico), the
        box step (baldosa), walking (caminada), ochos, and simple
        turns (cambio de frente and giros). The combinations are
        not taught  as steps to be copied. Instead, we teach how
        to dance organically, from the lead all the way through
        the resolution. During every class we also talk about
        how to approach social tango dancing. We talk about the
        milongas, the etiquette, how to invite a partner to dance,
        and the tricks for smooth navigation. This class progresses
        during the semester. However, drop-ins are always welcome.

        ----------------

        Focusing on the social tango that is danced in the clubs
        of Buenos Aires.  Classes will include a comprehensive
        overview from building a strong base to integrating
        exciting steps, patterns and footwork.

        Level II Argentine Tango - Tuesdays 8 pm
        You're bitten by the Tango bug...!! Refine and Spice
        up your tango dance...  We will be building on your
        Tango Fundamentals and adding more exciting step
        patterns. Focusing on improvisation, musicality and
        advanced lead and follow techniques.

        susanactango at yahoo.com
        http://www.susanatango.com

        ----------------

        Tango at Noon

        New early PM class for people with flexible time schedule

        Everyone is welcomed to help out and learn in an all level
        tango class, at the Cheryhurst community center. 12 noon,
        1700 Missouri St, every Tuesday. Practice 1.30-3.00pm
        afterwards. Take a tango lunch break away with tango.

        Now you don't have to be in Buenos Aires in order to
        dance Argentine Tango during the day ;)

        An evening practica

        Practica El Caminito, 9-11pm at Tango Cielo. $5, Presented
        by a group of tango dancers who believe that precise
        practice makes it perfect!

        --
        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        http://instantango.com/

Wednesday

        The Edge Milonga
        brought to you by Irina Dralyuk

        Wednesdays 9:30pm-12:30am
        Bacchus Cafe & Wine Bar
        2502 Dunlavy, Houston TX 77006
        [Corner of Dunlavy & Missouri, 1 block North of Westheimer]
        http://www.bacchushouston.com

        Beginner class at 8:30-9:30pm, $10/person, no partner
        needed

        Bacchus offers a variety of wines from around the world,
        with wine specials on Tango night!

        No cover at the door. Complete sobriety highly discouraged
        however, so please feel free to take advantage of our
        wine special and imbibe!

        Dress Code: Ladies, let's push the line a little and hike
        up that skirt. Gents, bring out those fancy pants

        ... if you're not at the Edge, you're not living ...

Thursday

        Intermediate class with Mauro & Elizabeth
        8pm-9:15pm

        Jerabeck 2nd floor Dance Room, 4000 Mt. Vernon, Houston,
        TX 77006 Parking for Jerabeck available in the garage ($2)
        or on Graustark St.  Jerabeck is located on Graustark St
        between West Alabama and Richmond Map

        Fees: All Thursday Group classes are $12 per class when you
        prepay for the month. Discount only available during first
        and second weeks of the month. A single class drop-in rate
        of $15 per class. Discount of 50% for university faculty,
        staff, and students, all universities included.

        This class is designed for the intermediate level. Students
        should be familiar with the basics of walking, posture,
        navigation, and technique. Knowledge of ochos, turns,
        and weight changes are important at this level. Each class
        begins with a warm-up, walking, and technique exercises to
        prepare the mind and body to dance tango. These exercises
        are important. As intermediates, we spend more time
        focusing on body mechanics and kinesiology in order to
        dance organically. We ask the body and mind to do more and
        the response can be very exciting and creative! We then
        continue the lesson with a general topic. These include
        navigation for the milonga, different walking systems
        with our partners, intermediate musicality (milonga and
        vals). We use intermediate combinations- syncopated salida
        (salida cruzada), cross and parallel walking, traspie,
        turns with adornments, displacements (sacadas), and many
        more. As always, the combinations are not taught as steps
        to be copied. Instead, we teach how to dance organically,
        from the lead all the way through the resolution. We
        ask the students to think creatively, find solutions to
        "mistake" (there are no absolute mistakes in tango,
        only happy accidents), and to develop a style that is
        unique. During every class we talk in depth about the
        hows and whys of tango- the physiological, mechanical,
        and psychological factors. This class progresses during
        the semester.  However, drop-ins are always welcome.

Friday

        Angel's Milonga

        Please grace us with your angelic smiles, white evening
        wear and celestial moves at the opening of Tango Cielo,
        Houston's new home for Friday Milongas.

        Fine French wine generously donated by Cafe Rabelais

        Fridays,  9pm-12pm
        3710 Main st (@ Alabama)
        (Between Tacos A Go Go and Big Top)
        $10 at the door upstairs, students pay $5
        Free street parking or $5 parking lot.

        Tango Chose Me, 8pm- 9.00pm

        All level tango introduction class, tailored to people
        with no to little tango experience.

        A different tango Maestro each Friday will introduce You to
        the basics of Argentine Tango such as tango walk, posture,
        the line of dance and etiquette.  No partner required. At
        Tango Cielo, 3710 Main st, Upstairs. Price: $15 at the
        door, includes Milonga Del Angel from 9.00pm-midnight,
        a social tango dance night.

        We are also looking for kind hearted people to join
        the volunteer "Charlie's Angels" team for a Milonga Del
        Angel, a social tango dance night on Fridays.  If you are
        interested in seeing what does "milonga" mean, this would
        be a great way to meet people, learn a little more about
        Houston's tango scene, music and dance itself. Please
        email indrerapal at gmail.com to find out more.

        Indre ♫♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸
        instantango.com

        ----------------

        Midway to Tango - an intermediate level class

        Four week cycle every first Friday of the month

        Cycle consists of four 60 min classes with 15 minute
        practice at the end 8:00pm-9:15pm at Tango Cielo, 3710
        Main St

        No partner necessary.

        This class is designed for dancers with complete knowledge
        of tango fundamentals (read Begin Tango). In Midway to
        Tango sessions you will learn changes of direction in
        linear and circular movements. You will be introduced
        to more advanced patterns and steps such as sandwich,
        parada, sacada and more. Emphasis in Midway Tango is
        placed on developing a skill to combine basic steps and
        translate it to a new musically flowing sequences. Steps
        and patterns are done in both milonguero and salon style
        embrace to emphasize the flexibility in the connection.

        More info at http://www.instantango.com/classes.html

Saturday

        Milonga Brasileña is the first Saturday of every month.

        Emporio Brazilian Cafe
        12288 Westheimer, #210A
        Houston, TX 77077

        9pm to 12am
        Cost: $10/person (free if you order dinner or drinks)

        Hosted by:
        Rick & Teresa
        http://milongabrasilena.net

Sunday

        Sunday Lesson with Sue & Alex
        3:30 - 4:15 PM, $5
        All-Level, Tango, Vals and Milonga
        Every Sunday, a walking element for beginners and an
        advanced movement for intermediate and advanced dancers.

        Start anytime. Drop-ins welcome. No partner required.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/lessons.html

        Sunday Práctica - La Práctica Dominguera
        4:30 - 7:00 pm, $5
        Every Sunday, dance, practice, share or just hang-out.
        A different DJ every Sunday.
        Info: http://www.cosasdeltango.com/practica.html

        The lesson and práctica are at:

        River Oaks Pilates Studio
        3425 South Shepherd Drive, Suite 220
        Houston, TX 77098

        The studio is located on the second floor above MW Cleaners
        at the corner of Shepherd and Colquitt. You just enter the
        building from Colquitt and go to the second floor. There is
        free parking in front of the building and in the parking
        garage on the 1st and 2nd levels.

        http://www.cosasdeltango.com
        amamontoff at yahoo.com
        (713) 724-7281