[HouTango-L] Tango This Week (4/25/05)

A. Lester Buck III buck at compact.com
Tue Apr 26 20:11:57 UTC 2005

        Susana Collins writes about One more Tango @ the Belmar,
        2710 Richmon near Kirby, this Saturday, 8:30pm...
        "Many of us may recall getting together at the Belmar
        on Tuesday nights... long-long ago... I believe it was
        2003??? Aww man, how quickly time passes..!!!  Well... I
        can definitely say I carry quite a few memories from the
        place and I just could not pass up the opportunity to
        hold one more dance event!!  I certainly hope everyone in
        the community will be able to join me!!!  The bar is not
        presently in operation, so it will be entirely ours for the
        evening - as a private event!  $10.00 cover - to help with
        the rental fee - please contact Susana at SusanaTango.com for
        advance tickets.  BYOB  - Anything you wish to consume -
        we will provide all glassware and ice.  DJ'ing by Eric
        Lanoix and Ilya Karash... but all music suggestions
        are welcomed."  http://houtango.com/maps/BelmarMap.html

        Toe to Toe will host their next workshop, to be
        taught by Ney Melo of New York/Buenos Aires, over the
        weekend of May 7-8.  Early bird discount available
        through this Friday, April 30.  Full details at
        http://www.t3tango.com/workshops.htm

        Victor Collins is involved in the Argentine tango
        portions of Tony Pace's 7th Cinco de Mayo Dance Festival.
        There is a workshop (with milongas included, 9pm-4am):
        Argentine tango, salsa, etc. for May 6th and 7th, and also
        a prefestival buffet and dance FREE at Chayns Night club,
        3930 FM 1960 West. For the complete information please
        check http://www.tonypaceportfolio.com.

        And on a sad note, Leonor & Mercy are winding down Toe
        to Toe tango events after a long and successful run,
        as Leonor writes:
            On a final note, Mercy and I would like to thank
            everyone who has supported Toe to Toe in our endeavors.
            We have never had an unsuccessful event and we had
            a lot of fun to boot. This brings me to where we're
            going now. These will be the last two events we
            host/organize. We are disbanding Toe to Toe after
            the workshops with Ney. Mercy has finally been given
            permission to write her thesis, which will keep her
            chained to her laptop for a few months, and I have
            been given a wealth of new projects at work will be
            generally very time consuming.  Our time just isn't
            as available as it once was. It would be unfair to
            organize events where we can't dedicate the amount of
            time and care we have been able to in the past. So
            rather than piddle out and put together events for
            the sake of doing it, we defer to all the other
            dedicated organizers in Houston who have done such
            a beautiful job of not only maintaining tango here,
            but nourishing it.      I encourage anyone who has not
            visited http://www.tangohouston.org to use that as your
            information base for tango in Houston and keep dancing!

        Glover Gill's free Monday tango piano is moving just
        down the street to The Big Top for a few months:
        http://houtango.com/maps/BitTopMap.html

        Michael Figart writes: Coming to Austin, for fans of
        Glovertango and Tosca; Two rare performances by the full
        7-piece orquestra; Tuesday, May 10th Cipolinna 9:00-
        11:00 and Friday, May 20th Central Market North 6:30-
        9:00. The May 10th event at Cippolina's will be a big
        night, as they are clearing out all the tables for dancing,
        and all proceeds go to benefit a beloved Austin tanguera
        in distress.

        Missed a tango email?  Need the calendar while away from
        your computer?  You can always refer to past tango email
        at http://houtango.com/pipermail/houtango-l_houtango.com/

Monday

        Glover Gill of Glovertango plays delicious solo tango
        piano, at The Big Top (new location for a few months),
        8-9:00pm.  Come to dance or just to hang out in the relaxed
        atmosphere. 3706 Main at Winburn. Plenty of room to dance.
        Please tip generously; Glover plays only for tips. FREE

        http://houtango.com/maps/BitTopMap.html

Tuesday

        The Baquero Gallery in Rice Village is a brand new
        Tuesday night tango venue.  David Baquero, artist and
        Maestro, opens his gallery to tango dancing from 8-11pm
        every Tuesday.  The gallery has hardwood floors and is
        a beautiful space in which to dance.  Baquero Gallery is
        at 5502 Chaucer St and Rice Blvd.

        http://houtango.com/maps/BaqueroGalleryMap.html

        ----------------

        The Houston Argentine Tango Association continues their
        next class cycle, expanded to three classes each night.
        Joan Bishop & Roger Soto instructing. Barbara King's
        Houston Center of Dance, (new location) 5200 Bissonnet
        at Bellaire.  Info: <info at houstontango.org>, 713-861-8087,
        http://www.houstontango.org

        http://houtango.com/maps/KingsDanceCenterMap.html

Wednesday

        Victor Collins teaches classes - beginner 8-9pm,
        intermediate/advanced from 9-10pm. $10/class, or $70 for
        a package of eight. Victor teaches at The Dance Place,
        3300 Chimney Rock, Suite 500 just south of Richmond.
        Victor is always happy to chat with new students over the
        phone before their first class.  Info: 281-443-3322(h)
        or 832-725-4380(cell).

        http://houtango.com/maps/TheDancePlaceMap.html

Thursday

        Crossroads Coffee hosts Tango at the Crossroads, 8pm.
        Immerse yourself into an intimate evening of tango, wine,
        and candle light at a new location in the Rice Village.
        Come to dance, listen to the captivating sounds of tango,
        or just enjoy the atmosphere with a glass of wine and
        the best crepes in Houston.  No cover.  2531 University
        Blvd, 713-526-7262, http://www.crossroadscoffee.org
        http://houtango.com/maps/CrossroadsFlyer.jpg

        http://houtango.com/maps/CrossroadsCoffeeMap.html

        ----------------

        Martin & Natia Palaez teach group classes at Barbara
        King's Houston Center of Dance, (new location)
        5200 Bissonnet at Bellaire. Beginners 8-9pm,
        $12/class, $40 for the four week session. Partners
        not required. http://www.tango-houston.com/,
        <tangoss at hotmail.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/KingsDanceCenterMap.html

        ----------------

        Victor Collins teaches beginner 7-8pm, practica from
        8-8:30pm, intermediate/advanced from 8:30-9:30pm, with
        practica until 10pm. $10/class, or $70 for a package
        of eight. Victor Collins teaches at his newly expanded
        home studio at 3013 Roseheath, near Aldine-Westfield &
        Richey Road in far north Houston.  Info: 281-443-3322.

        http://houtango.com/maps/VictorCollinsHomeStudioMap.html

Friday

        Victor Collins continues his milongas at Arepas &
        Empanadas Gourmet, Inc., 12792 Veterans Memorial on the
        north side of town. Already a hot dining and dance spot
        on the weekends, now adding tango night every Friday.
        Great Colombian food and drink especials. FREE Practica
        from 8:30-9:30pm, FREE introductory class from 9:30pm. to
        10:30pm, with milonga to continue immediately following.

        http://houtango.com/maps/ArepasEmpanadasMap.html

        ----------------

        [Canceled this week only, Martin is traveling on business.]
        Martin & Natia Palaez teach group classes at Barbara King's
        Houston Center of Dance, (new location) 5200 Bissonnet at
        Bellaire. Intermediate/Advanced 8-9pm, $10/class. Partners
        not required. http://www.tango-houston.com/,
        <tangoss at hotmail.com>

        http://houtango.com/maps/KingsDanceCenterMap.html

        ----------------

        Siempre Tango (Always Tango), with Juan Carlos and
        Alicia Suarez, continues an eight week class cycle:
        Beginners 7:30-8:30pm, Advanced 8:30-9:30pm, followed by
        practica. $80 for a package of eight one-hour lessons. City
        Dance Studio, 2423 Dunstan.  Info: Alicia at 713-688-1282,
        <2tango at pdq.net>, http://www.alwaystango.com/

        http://houtango.com/maps/CityDanceStudioMap.html

Saturday

[...]

Sunday